Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WWI Songs

Guest Hill 60

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Interesting site.

However I was hit by a low flying cushion from my wife on the fourth rendition of 'Tipperary'

PALS beware!! :huh:

Ian

I have heard the majority of them, some from CD collections of WWI songs, others from my friend Brian who has the original 78 RPMs from that time period. One of the hardest songs to find, but apparently was a big hit of 1916 (and no wonder) is a song called, "God Send You Back to Me." Got a lovely, under-the-table copy of it from a friend who is able to tape things at the EMI Archives. They have great stuff there -- but they don't like to share it very much!

The song itself is a rather mawkish tune with the usual 1916-ish contralto warbling away, but when you think of the ladies who were back home sick with worry, you can really understand why this song would touch so many hearts.

Cynthia

Guest Ian Bowbrick
One of the hardest songs to find, but apparently was a big hit of 1916 (and no wonder) is a song called, "God Send You Back to Me."

Interesting I have a Bamforth Song Card for that song!

'Love, you have left me weary and lonely,

Sailing so far away;

Ah! how I miss you - daily I'm praying -

Safely you'll come home some day'

Cynthia - If you mail me your address off forum you can have the card - call it a late 50th birthday present.

Ian :ph34r:

Dear Ian,

What a lovely thought and I will treasure it! As you can imagine, corny as the song is, I could certainly picture myself as a young girl whose lover was far away, not knowing what he was enduring, and all I could do was pray that 'God would bring him back to me.' I even learned to play it on the violin, and believe me, I can really wring out the pathos when I play!

I will email you privately with my address, and thank you again. This being 50 may not be so bad after all - but please, no comments, gentlemen, on my photo in the Pals Album. At least I am a lady who does own up to her age, unlike the stereotypes we still hear about!

Cynthia

Guest Hill 60
Got a lovely, under-the-table copy of it from a friend who is able to tape things at the EMI Archives. They have great stuff there -- but they don't like to share it very much!

I wish I had been interested in this sort of thing many years ago when my mum was PA to the boss of EMI! Still, I did manage to get autographs from Kate Bush & Suzi Quatro :wub:

Got a lovely, under-the-table copy of it from a friend who is able to tape things at the EMI Archives.  They have great stuff there -- but they don't like to share it very much!

I wish I had been interested in this sort of thing many years ago when my mum was PA to the boss of EMI! Still, I did manage to get autographs from Kate Bush & Suzi Quatro :wub:

Lee,

Are you sure you want to admit to that sort of thing on this forum ......

Have you still got your Bay City Rollers records as well?

Interestingly Kate gets periodic requests from record collectors for information on the war service of opera singers.

Apparently at least one man serving with the Italian Air Force sang at La Scala on his nights off.

Guest Hill 60
Are you sure you want to admit to that sort of thing on this forum ......

Have you still got your Bay City Rollers records as well?

You obviously don't remember the video of Kate Bush singing 'Babushca'? I'd get one of those outfits for Jean but I think that she'd cut my life short if I did!

No Bay City records, but I still have 'Crazy Horses' by the Osmonds, that was a cracking song!

....And Debbie Harry in the 1970-80's :wub: