Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

4th Gordons at Ypres

danny

Hi All

Just a quick note to clear up some confusion. In Lyn MacDonald's "They Called it Passchendaele" a reference is made to the 4th Gordons attacking on the 31st July in the area of MacDonald's and Minty Farms (p103). My understanding is that this unit did not attack untill the 20th September. It is interesting because she quotes a member of the 9th Royal Scots (also in the 154th Brigade with the 4th Gordons)who witnessed the attack although he does not mention the 4th by name. Is she mixing up the 4th with either the 5th, 6th or 7th Gordons who did attack on this day in this area?

Thanks in advance.

Danny

9th RS were reserveon 31st but went over the Steenbeck on 1st August to establish posts. I have no info to hand on 4th Gordons but can check tomorrow.

Aye

Malcolm

Danny,

From McCarthy (Passchendaele The Day-by-Day Account), p. 27

With regard to that area, on 31 July :

51st Division

152 Brigade : 1/5 Seaforth Highl., 1/8 Argyll&Sutherland Highl., 1/6 Seaforth Highl., 1/6 gordon Highl. (mention made of Macdonald's Farm)

153 Brigade (left of it) : 1/7 Gordon Highl., 1/7th Black Watch, 1/5 Gordon Highl., 1/6 Black Watch.

No mention is made of 1/4 Gordon Highl.

Mention of this Bn. indeed is made on 20 Sept., just a little north of Keerselare (where now the Canadian Brooding Soldier Monument is).

Aurel

no mention of 4th Gordons until September Menen Road in 51st History.

detail of MacDonald Farm attached. I have a map of the 51st area with tank movements if you want a copy..

Aye

Malcolm

post-129-1122295249.jpg

Thanks Malcolm and Aurel.

It seems that she has got mixed up then. I am going to Ypres in a week or so Malcolm and I would love to see the map you mention. By the way, I have the information from the Chris McCarthy book Aurel which I borrowed from the local library, but after reading another thread in Wants and Swaps I am tempted to hold on to it, claim it's lost and pay the fine. Whatever they ask it can't be what this book seems to be worth these days!

Cheers

Danny