Free downloads from TNA Ă—
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Alexander Gordon - 2nd Bn Gordon Highlanders

Donnie H

Hi All

My great uncle Alexander Gordon S/9453 of the 2nd Bn. Gordon Highlanders was killed on the 25th Sept 1915 at Loos.

I have downloaded his MIC this says he died in the field, can anyone tell me why this would be described in this way rather than killed in action.

I have read the information on the main site about the battle of Loos, and it would seem likely that he would have been killed somewhere near the Hulluch Road.

His MIC puts the date of his arrival in the France as the 6th July 1915 and as the 90th anniversary of his death approaches I would like to find out more about my great uncles short time in the war, and whether this would have been his first action.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Donnie

Hi All

My great uncle Alexander Gordon S/9453 of the 2nd Bn. Gordon Highlanders was killed on the 25th Sept 1915 at Loos.

I have downloaded his MIC this says he died in the field, can anyone tell me why this would be described in this way rather than killed in action.

I have read the information on the main site about the battle of Loos, and it would seem likely that he would have been killed somewhere near the Hulluch Road.

His MIC puts the date of his arrival in the France as the 6th July 1915 and as the 90th anniversary of his death approaches I would like to find out more about my great uncles short time in the war, and whether this would have been his first action.

Any help would be appreciated 

Thanks

Donnie

Don't know if you've seen this but..........

Surname GORDON

Firstname Alexander

Service number S/9453

Date of death 25/09/1915

Decoration

Place of birth Gartsherrie Lanarkshire

Other 2nd Bn.

SNWM roll THE GORDON HIGHLANDERS

Rank Pte

Theatre of death F.& F.

Aye

Malcolm

Thanks Malcolm

Yes this is the details I have at present along with the information I have from the MIC.

The only other detail about his death which I had from my dad is that he was told that he was killed by a shell.

I was interested why his death would be described as died in the field rather than killed in action, would this mean that he was not killed instantly but perhaps lived for a short period of time after being wounded.

Reading the account of the battle on the main site in which it describes the Germans shelling to disperse the gas and smoke, this may fit in with the theory that he was killed by a shell.

Donnie

Donnie,

Click HERE for a downloadable (small fee) copy of the War Diary of the 2/Gordons for September 1915.

Dave.

Many thanks Dave

I managed to download a copy of the diary tonight, I have also found a copy of a map of the battlefield showing the position of the 20th brigade including the 2nd Gordons to the north of the Hulluch road.

Hopefully this will help me build a picture of what was happening in the days before his death.

Donnie