Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sgt 201405 Taylor 5th Bedfords MM winner

steve fuller

Hi Pals

Could anyone add any snippets to the above chap please. He died 3 Nov 1918, (AFTER the Turkish armistice was signed) and wondered if anyone could add any extra info for me at all?

Have CWGC & War Diary, but he won an MM at some stage so any clues when he won it would be really useful too

Thanks all

Steve

Steve

I had recourse to check something with the Beds a year or so and emailed -

luttn@csd.bedfordshire.gov.uk

www.bedfordshire.gov/archive

chap is called Nigel Lutt - very helpful

asuming that is that the good folk on here don't already come up with the goods

good luck

chris

Hi Pals

Could anyone add any snippets to the above chap please. He died 3 Nov 1918, (AFTER the Turkish armistice was signed) and wondered if anyone could add any extra info for me at all?

Have CWGC & War Diary, but he won an MM at some stage so any clues when he won it would be really useful too

Thanks all

Steve

Steve,

This page of the B Battery, 270 Brigade History (of 54th Division) might cast some light. It refers to October/November 1918 though there are no specific dates. My next trip to the NA will be to get the War Diary.... Maybe you can match the places with dates from your War Diary copy.

post-6536-1122242986.jpg

I imagine Harold Taylor was one of the unlucky ones.

As for the MM, the Gazette site is playing me up again. The MM MIC has the number after the TF re-numbers so it would be in Egypt rather than Gallipoli.

My great-uncle got discharged after the war, (I think) so he may have got the malaria at that point, too...

Steve.

EDIT:

According to War Diary on your website:

1-10-1918 : Haifa. Some malaria.

31-10-1918 : Triumphant marchpast.

1-11-1918 : More malaria outbreaks.

Apparently onset of symptoms occurs in about a week after exposure and the worst cases can be fatal in 24 hours after onset of symptoms. The exposure at Beirut may therefore have been too near his death. (The wonders of the Internet! Info from NHS website)

Captain Longmore died 24-11-1918 and was, incidentally, a Bedford man.

http://www.cwgc.org/cwgcinternet/casualty_...casualty=896485

Looking at the Beirut Cemetery details on CWGC there is no shortage of men who died mid-October to Late-November 1918 buried there.

Steve

I had recourse to check something with the Beds a year or so and emailed -

luttn@csd.bedfordshire.gov.uk

www.bedfordshire.gov/archive

chap is called Nigel Lutt - very helpful

asuming that is that the good folk on here don't already come up with the goods

good luck

chris

Thanks Chris, I appreciate the thought mate, but I already know Nigel! Agreed he is extremely helpful & had a real passion for the subject.

Thank you anyway :D

Steve

Steve

As ever, youre a gem mate. Didnt even cross my mind about the malaria, although only 3 weeks ago I was pondering the subject whilst picking out Diary areas to explore more fully. :rolleyes: Twit!

Now youve said that, I wonder if Samuel Needham also fell to the bug as he died 4th Nov. The Btn's only VC winner & Ill bet he suffered the same fate, such is the irony of things. Another story for another day methinks, but a really useful thought Steve, thanks. The wonders of the forum eh?

Had a lotta trouble with the MM's myself too. Thought it was just me, so stopped trying & saved it for another day.

Outstanding stuff again Steve, thank you. I owe you a rather large keg of beer by now I reckon ... ;)

Steve,

I can not find his MM in the gazette, i tried looking under the heading of bedfordshire regiment as this list was much shorter than just usung taylor,

sorry, can you narrow the search down with a possible date bracket? and i'll try again for you,

Mandy

Steve,

I can not find his MM in the gazette, i tried looking under the heading of bedfordshire regiment as this list was much shorter than just usung taylor,

sorry, can you narrow the search down with a possible date bracket? and i'll try again for you,

Mandy

Steve,

Mandy

Harold G Taylor's MM was Gazetted 18-10-1917.

201405 Cpl. (L./Sjt.) H. G. Taylor, Bedf. R (Biggleswade).

That's one of the Umbrella Hill ones. It was on the list I gave to you before, Steve. Concentrate, lad!

Steve.

Mandy,

Giving away my trade secrets here. Search using H. G. Taylor (don't forget the full stops) List of 11, I think. Or Taylor H. G. (some of the later MMs had the initials after the surname.

Steve.

Steve,

Mandy

Thanks Mandy - 3 time over :lol: . Looks like Steve's covered it.

Hope all is well with you ...?

Harold G Taylor's MM was Gazetted 18-10-1917.

201405 Cpl. (L./Sjt.) H. G. Taylor, Bedf. R (Biggleswade).

That's one of the Umbrella Hill ones. It was on the list I gave to you before, Steve. Concentrate, lad!

Steve.

:ph34r: yea, sorry Boss! Seem to have neglected that rather important piece of info when was building the list. Doh ... :rolleyes:

any time steve,

and yes thanks i am well, hope you are too?

as steve has already given you the info i'm going to stop looking and get on with some other work! the washing won't get done while i'm sitting here!! oh well supoose it can wait til tomorrow and i'll carry on playing here for a while, its better fun,

Mandy

any time steve,

and yes thanks i am well, hope you are too?

as steve has already given you the info i'm going to stop looking and get on with some other work! the washing won't get done while i'm sitting here!! oh well supoose it can wait til tomorrow and i'll carry on playing here for a while, its better fun,

Mandy

Hmmmn, all things considered, carrying on playing sounds better to me! Ignore the washing up, cos if you wait long enough, someone will invent a robot that can do it for ya :D

I was only joking, Steve. Hope you didn't take me seriously.

Just a note. Some details on Samuel Needham.

http://www.memorial-lincs.org.uk/html/great_limba.html

Probably didn't die from the malaria:

"In addition there is a privately printed pamphlet detailing the life of Private 203329 Samuel Needham V.C. of the 1/5th Bedfordshire Regiment. He was born in nearby Brocklesby, the son of Septimus and Mary Needham, and died in Palestine on the 4th November 1918 as a result of wounds received. The award of The Victoria Cross in respect of his outstanding valour on the night of the 10th - 11th September that year at Kefr Kasim was published in the London Gazette on the 30th October 1918.He is buried in the Kantara War Cemetery, near the Suez Canal, Egypt."

Some details you probably know already:

http://www.any-village.co.uk/main.asp?Site...ID=great+limber

Do you have a picture of him, by the way?

Steve. (With smiley) :D

Thanks Steve, was trawling through the "old forum" earlier for Samuel as i remember it coming up before & couldnt for the life of me find the reference. Nice one. :D

Havent seen a pic of him anywhere but I believe the Luton Regmnt Museum have his VC, so imagine they have one there.

Cheers mate

There is a pic here:

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?p...amuel%20Needham

Larger one if you click, too.

Steve.

Thanks Steve ole boy. If you go onto the site for any reason ... well try not to!! Loaded with spyware & adware, pops ups all over the shop!

Steve,

have e-mailed you a couple of pics of Needham VC

mandy

Steve,

have e-mailed you a couple of pics of Needham VC

mandy

recieved with my thanks (again) Mand'. Youre a busy gal today helping me out mate, I appreciate it :D

Take care

Steve