Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

14th Bn Sherwood Foresters

eagleeye

Hi,

My Great Grandfather is shown as being a sergeant in the 14th Bn Notts and Derby Sherwood Foresters in 1915. As I understand it this was a reserve battalion and never left the UK. At the time he must have been late 30's or early 40's.

Would this mean that he was a pre war soldier called back to the colours and that is how he obtained the rank?

Was he a pre war regular? Any ideas?

His details are G Fitgibbon address in 1915 was 16 Milton, Tuxford, Notts.

Rod

Hi Rod

You're quite right on the battalion never leaving the UK. Formed originally as a service battalion of K4 in 91st Bde of the orig. 30 Div at Lichfield in October 1914, became a 2nd Res battalion on 10/04/15. Mar 1916 moved to Brocton. 01/09/16 became 13th Training Res battalion at Brocton.

The outline of your great grandfather's history suggests to me that he was a reservist brought back in to help train the new armies, and continued service with the battalion is likely to indicate that he was unfit enough to survive the comb-outs that took place later in the war.

Hi Richard,

As a possible reservist he must have some military history prior to the Great War, he sounds quite interesting and I will have to look into him a bit more.

Any ideas where to find info re soldiers in the South Afirca War or details of soldiers pre 1914?

Rod