Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

How they get their numbers?

wizzie

! was wondering how a serviceperson was allocated their number and does anyone know that the prefixes mean, or where I could find out?

I have some men who joined up for WW1, some who just have a 2, 3 or more, didget number, some also have a letter prefix eg. F, G L P or T even a TF.

I have it on good authority that someone here can help me :D

Thanks

Wizzie

Wizzie, welcome to the forum. If you search, you'll find there is heaps of stuff about numbering systems already available for you to read. For example, enter the word "prefix" ...

Do you have any particular regiment in mind?

In general as a rule of thumb guide only...

Three digit and smaller numbers are often associated with Territorial units. They began numbering sequenetially when formed in 1908.

Four digit numbers often point at regular or reservist soldiers, although many of the new Kitchener units also had numbers like this.

Six digits can mean post 1.1.1917 Territoral but not necessarily.

Good luck!

Four digit numbers often point at regular or reservist soldiers, although many of the new Kitchener units also had numbers like this.

...as did quite a few from the TF also.

Dave.

This is what people should read regards regimental numbering. This regulation applies to Regular soldiers. I will also post the regulation for Territorial Force numbering.

Graham.

This is the regulation regards numbering in the Territorial Force. It was amended numerous times during the war through Army Council Instructions to include prefix numbering and also the new six figure numbers which were issued to Territorial in 1917.

Similar regulations were also applied to Special Reservists.

Graham.

Hi all,

Chris, Thank you for the warm welcome and I’m sorry I preformed the cardinal sin of not searching before posting. :)

While searching I am hugely indebted to “oldbill” for mentioning

www.britishmedalforum.com

where I found, as he said I would, a sticky link to a very concise and detailed explaination of Prefixes.

And finally Graham, thank you for posting.

I think I have understood the regulation correctly, that several men could all have the number 1234, or whatever, but they would be different Corps or Regiments?

It would then appear that the prefix was to further describe their occupation or attachment.

If anyone has anything to add, please feel free!

Wizzie

On 4 August 1914 it was perfectly possible for, for example, six men to have the same regimental number in one regiment: Royal Welch Fusiliers spring to mind. That is, one series for regulars shared between the two line battalions, another series for their SR 3rd battalion, and four separate series for each of four TF battalions.

These would be four-digit numbers around 5000.

Another point: regulations are one thing, the truth can be another, in that when the old Militia disbanded in 1908 and the SR was formed, some old Militia men are known to have dragged their old Militia number with them. The same for the VF/ TF change. So "starting from number 1 in 1908" is not necessarily so.

The RWF never used prefixes to indicate battalion, even when ordered to do so. I for one wish that they had.

Wizzie,

Hope you don't mind, but I'm going to add some Army Council Instructions to your post, regarding regimental numbering. If you download them, you'll be able to read them in your own time.

Graham

Army Council Instruction 294 of 21st September 1914.

Graham.

Army Council Instruction 98 of 14th January 1915.

Graham.

Army Council Instruction 144 of 18th May 1915 - Prefixing of duplicate regimental numbers.

Graham.

Extract from Army Council Instruction 1528 of 6th August 1916 - detailing the numbering system of the Training Reserve, which was to be formed on the 1st September 1916.

Graham.

I don't mind a bit Graham, in fact I found it very helpful, especially "144" dated 18th May 1915. It would seem the authorities could see the confusions arising. Most interesting, Thank you.

Wizzie

Wizzie,

When I get the time I'll try and add on some about regimental numbering or would you like it e.mailing direct to you?

Langley does have a point about the RWF, although there is about a dozen or so of them that do have prefix numbering. Northern Command units seem to have stuck to the letter of A.C.I.144 and prefix numbering is well documented for units within that Command.

As an experiment recently run with the on-line Medal Index cards from the National Archive, I just put in the prefix 3/ through to 10/ and have found that there are 101,253 Medal Index Cards that are prefixed with these numbers.

At the same time these prefixes would also include those of the Training Reserve and some Army Service Corps numbers.

Regimental numbering is a fascinating subject, but without a doubt it's Regulations, Army Orders and Army Council Instructions which take the guess work out of it.

All the best,

Graham.