Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Minesweeper 1918

Guest softcoats

Guest softcoats

:) As in a previous post I am looking for my Grandfathers records

EDWARD LEWIS RNVR 1st class 27779

His son died in "Institution Larbert Naval residence" in 1.10.1918 I assume my grandfather was at Sea at the time :(

Can anyone help with tracing any vessels he may have been on or enlightening me as to "Larbert Naval residence"

I am desperately trying to locate his Birth cert but am unsure as to where he was born

Hoping his RNVR records may shed some light on this eventually :blink:

Jean

Hi Jean,

The numbers for the RNVR usually start with a letter could your G.fathers be Z7779 and before 1st class is there another word like Stoker or Ships Corporal.

Larbert is in Scotland, the only institutes are the home for imbecile children and the asylum either of which could have been taken over as a hospital during the Great War.

Have you any information on were he was married or died, any little piece of information could help.

What makes you think Minesweeper?

Regards Charles

Guest softcoats
Hi Jean,

The numbers for the RNVR usually start with a letter could your G.fathers be Z7779 and before 1st class is there another word like Stoker or Ships Corporal.

Larbert is in Scotland, the only institutes are the home for imbecile children and the asylum either of which could have been taken over as a hospital during the Great War.

Have you any information on were he was married or died, any little piece of information could help.

What makes you think Minesweeper?

Regards Charles

I found this number on The Death Certificate of his 1st Wife I suppose it could be a Z & not a 2 There is no other wording apart from 1st class

I have his Marriage Cert to my grandmother and his death Cert

His Son died from a Heart Condition & Flu so you are right LARBERT could have been used as a hospital His son's death was registered by an attendant who gives the information regarding Minesweeper

He was a trawler fisherman before and after the war

Jean

Hi Jean,

I have now read your other thread and know he died in aberdeen in 1944, aged 66. On his death certificate and marriage certificate should be the name of his father, they should appear on the 1881 census the 1881/91 and 1901 are available online in Scotland.

If he was a fisherman he most likely would have been RNR(Trawlers) and signed on to stay on his trawler for the duration of the war. RNVR was for the people that were not profesional seamen. In that case it would be the last digit of the number that would be a letter.

When you find out where he came or worked from you may be able to find out more information on what ships he was on.

Regards Charles

Guest softcoats
Hi Jean,

I have now read your other thread and know he died in aberdeen in 1944, aged 66. On his death certificate and marriage certificate should be the name of his father, they should appear on the 1881 census the 1881/91 and 1901 are available online in Scotland.

If he was a fisherman he most likely would have been RNR(Trawlers) and signed on to stay on his trawler for the duration of the war. RNVR was for the people that were not profesional seamen. In that case it would be the last digit of the number that would be a letter.

When you find out where he came or worked from you may be able to find out more information on what ships he was on.

Regards Charles

This is my biggest problem finding him on the census

I am therefore having difficulty finding a birth Cert

His birth is not recorded in Scotland and I have only found 1 possible match from Wolverhampton However it appears that the family fell on hard times and the children ended up in a workhouse I have found this family split up in 1891 census but nothing in 1901 in Scotland or England ;)

My grandfather then surfaces in 1902 in Aberdeen? ;) where he remained for the rest of his life

I only have one photograph of him wearing a RNVR badge/emblem

regardsJean

Hi Jean,

That was quick, If he was on a trawler sailing from Aberdeen he may have been at sea during the census and not all ships are recorded. But he would have signed indentures/T124 to a trawler/drifter these may be held by Aberdeen archives. His pay would be recorded as being sent to someone maybe a start.

Can you post the photo its amazing what the pals can deduct from a photo.

Regards Charles

Guest softcoats

hi charles

that was even quicker!

what are "indentures"?

any ideas on contacting the Aberdeen Achives?

will attempt to post photo tomorrow[ only joined site a few days ago still getting to grips with it]

Regards

Jean :D

Morning jean,

During the later part of the 19th century the fishing industry expanded that quickly, manpower became a problem, so young men from workhouses, industrial and ragged schools were apprenticed to go to sea as fishermen and were indentured (legally bound) to do the job. This was the most usual reason for inlanders to end up at sea.

Try ringing the archives or local study library in Aberdeen they can be most helpful and will point you in the right direction.

As for the photo good luck, there are a few threads on the forum on how its done.

Regards Charles

Guest softcoats

post-7565-1122320512.jpgHi Charles

Here goes , <_< this is only the lapel showing the emblem/badg. Sorry whole picture is to large a file will try to reduce it later this one should be fine I hope

regards

Jean

Hi Jean,

Looks like RN lapel badge can you make out any words underneath, well done, do you have an address for him during the war? There may be a roll of honour with him on.

Regards Charles

Guest softcoats

Hi attaching full photo <_<

cannot make out anything as you can appreciate it is an old photo probably taken not long before he died

I have only got an address given on his

1st marriage in 1902 as

16 Ship Row Aberdeen

In 1918 when his son died his son's usual adddress is given as

181 Great Northern Rd Aberdeen this appears to be the home of his 1st wife's family she died in 1914

She died at 77 Leadside Road Aberdeen

& then in 1919 when he married my grandmother it was

62 Crombie Road Aberdeen where they lived the rest of their lives

regards

Jean

post-7565-1122326483.jpg

Hi Jean,

Distinquished looking chap, Its back to local history unit in Aberdeen give them a ring and ask if he is on a Roll of Honour or shrine for Great Northern Road or Leadsdale Road. There could also be a Trawlerman Roll of Honour. If I can I'll see if he is recorded as sailing from Hull.

Regards Charles

Guest softcoats
Hi Jean,

Distinquished looking chap, Its back to local history unit in Aberdeen give them a ring and ask if he is on a Roll of Honour or shrine for Great Northern Road or Leadsdale Road. There could also be a Trawlerman Roll of Honour. If I can I'll see if he is recorded as sailing from Hull.

Regards Charles

Hi Charles

Any help would be appreciated, where can I find the number for th locaL history unit????

regards

Jean