Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pos VC Lan Fus

themonsstar

Hi All

I have the full set of 12 post cards of the unveiling of the 55 West Lancashires Div Memorial Ceremony at Givenchy card No 10 has 4 SNCOs 3 to the LFs and 1 to LNL ? From L-R LNL looks like TFWM, BWM VM & 1 other , LF pos DCM or MM & trio, LF Pos VC & trio, LF trio. any help cheers themonsstar

I think the VC winner could be (emphasis think and could!) James Hutchinson, 2/5 LF, who won his VC in June '16 at Ficheux. The only o.r. VC of the LF with 55th Division.

Dubious about the Loyal's medals - would he be likely to have a TFWM, and, if he did, where was it's precedence? Is it possibly a DCM with the light showing it oddly?

I think the VC winner could be (emphasis think and could!) James Hutchinson, 2/5 LF, who won his VC in June '16 at Ficheux.  The only o.r. VC of the LF with 55th Division.

Dubious about the Loyal's medals - would he be likely to have a TFWM, and, if he did, where was it's precedence?  Is it possibly a DCM with the light showing it oddly?

Cheers Steven

For some ! i had in my head that the TFWM would come First. I will put myself in the glasshouse. Thank you

Don't know - it may well come first (I'm no collector!), but I wonder, if he was in the 55th, whether he was likely to have a TFWM.

Annoyingly there isn't a picture of Hutchinson, who came from Radcliffe near Bury, in James Bancroft's very good little book on Northwest VCs 'Devotion To Duty'. I don't have the relevant Gerald Gliddon 'VCs of the First World War' volume either. Perhaps another Pal might oblige.

Annoyingly there isn't a picture of Hutchinson, who came from Radcliffe near Bury, in James Bancroft's very good little book on Northwest VCs 'Devotion To Duty'. I don't have the relevant Gerald Gliddon 'VCs of the First World War' volume either. Perhaps another Pal might oblige.

Hi Mark

I have Bancroft's book and Steven giving me the name of Hutchinson VC has help. I just neen to get a photo of him to confirm its him. To both of you thank you cheers Roy

Just looked in David Harvey's book and looks like it is Hutchinson VC

hope this helps,

Mandy

Was this a TA Div

If you look at the main site: 2/5th Battalion LF

Formed at Bury, 9 September 1914. 8 February 1915 : attached to 197th Brigade, 66th Division. 17 April 1915 : transferred to 3rd Highland Brigade, Highland Division. 12 May 1915 : formation became 154th Brigade, 51st Division. 7 January 1916 : transferred to 164th Brigade, 55th Division.

They were a Lancashire battalion that served with the Scots! All 3 divisions they served with were Territorial Force.

I'm glad everyone agrees with me about Hutchinson - I took the likeness from a photo in the "This England" VC book from many years ago.