Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Competition for Medal Collectors

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Guest Ian Bowbrick

This is one for the medal collecting Pals.

Below is a Czeckoslovakian Victory medal, is it a modern fake or is it an original?

First Prize is a copy of Winston Churchill's medal index card.

Ian

:D

post-8-1058272118.jpg

Hello,

I'm going to say it's not original. the suspension doesn't look right. I can't tell from the scan but there should be the designers name under the figure, if I recall correctly. The details look a little hazy, originals were well struck and normally a little darker bronze.

It may be a later 'official' replacement. I don't have Laslo's Interallied Victory Medal book handy but I will be happy to check it when I get home and post later.

I really hope you didn't pay a lot for it!

Neil

Hi Geoff,

Czechoslovakia did issue a victory medal though. Czechoslovak troops fought alongside the French (as did Poles though Poland did not issue a victory medal even though you see some for sale! :huh: )

So even though Czechoslovakia did not exist until after the war, there really is an official Czechoslovak victory medal!

Take care,

Neil

Guest Hill 60

I'll guess it is a fake. The suspender doesn't look right and the ribbon looks like a modern repro.

But, then again..............

Neil

Well you live and learn. I've heard of Czech troops participating

in the fighting but assumed these were Czech Republican troops

(as they are today). So I figured Ian stating a Czechoslovakian medal

was a trick question.

Geoff

I know, I know ..... the second prize is TWO copies of Winston Churchill's MIC.

Come to that Czechoslovakia doesn't exist now, either.

Hello Again,

According to Alexander Laslo's The Interallied Victory Medals of World War I, this appears to be an official reissue struck by the Kremnice Mint after World War II.

I still hope you didn't pay too much for it!

Neil

the ribbon looks like a modern repro.

The medal does appear to be (Laslo's terminology) a reissue type 1, but I'd say that the ribbon could possibly be original. It is actually possible (with very close scrutinisation) to see differences in the ribbons issued for the VM's of the different nations. For example, there is more "green" in the Japanese ribbon. The heavy woven appearance , as in the photo,can be found on some original issues of the "central European" VMs. In fact one of my Czech Victories (official, Type 2) came with an almost identical ribbon.

By the way, Czechoslovakia came into existance in October 1918.

Dave.

Czechoslovakia did issue a victory medal though. Czechoslovak troops fought alongside the French (as did Poles though Poland did not issue a victory medal

These Polish troops qualified for and were issued with the French Victory medal (as were some Czechs!)

Dave.

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Interesting!

Neil - You are right as to the type! (But cheated!!!!! :lol: )

Dave - You are right as to it being an original ribbon!

The ribbons on Victory medals is almost as interesting as the medals themselves! The Japanese ribbon also has a paler yellow than the British one.

Ian

Ian,

Cheated!?! :o

Sounds to me like an excuse not to cough up Mr. Churchill's Index card! :lol:

Take care,

Neil