Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

CWGC question for Chris please

museumtom

Hello Chris.

Sorry for being a bother but could you please help me with a lookup?

I am looking up 733 Gunner C O Barker, SDGW says he 'died at home' 1/3/1916 and the CWGC says he died 21/2/1916, is there any other information on the registers? Which date would be the most accurate?

Kind regards.

Tom Burnell

Tom,

Had a look at the overseas GRO microfiches and cannot find your man there if its any help.

Andy

Had a look at the overseas GRO microfiches and cannot find your man there if its any help.

He died in the UK so will be listed in the "home deaths" indexes. However, they are arranged quarterly, and so, for confusion between Feburary 21st and March 1st, they will not shed any light on the correct date of death. You will need to order up a copy of his Death Certificate to be certain.

Personally, I would go with the CWGC date - they are usually more accurate (although not infallible).

Best wishes.

Andy.

This sounds great.................where would a guy go to get his death cert?

regards.

Tom

Tom,

Try this website;

Death Certificates

I have never used it so don't know how much of the information requested is necessary to be certain of a positive result.

I suggest you post a request on the forum for someone to look up the GRO Index for you which will give the Registration District and Page No. - some of the regular Forum contributors have ready access.

If no-one replies I'll try and get the details for you next week.

Best wishes.

Andy.

This is great news. I have passed on that data. The guy who asked me to look this soldier up did not know he was buried in England and when he found out this mornibg he drove to the cemetery and photographed the grave.hows that for a hit!!