Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Wagon lines, Batteries, O.P.

ackimzey

As I work my way through my great uncle's (Grover Carter) diary, he mentions several times "made rounds (he was a doctor from USA attached to BEF) of wagon lines and batteries". He also writes " went to O.P.s with the Col., also to front line trenches".

I would like to understand what a wagon line and a battery are exactly. I'm guessing that batteries are positions with guns and men but am not sure. Also I can't figure out what O.P.s is.

At this time he was located in the Acheux-Bertrancourt-Mailly Maillet area, June 1918

Would appreciate any info. or suggestions.

Thanks a bunch.

Ann

Ann

You are right about the battery positions. Wagon lines were the location of horse drawn wagons, which contained ancillary equipment and other materials associated with the battery. These would have been some distance to the rear of the battery postion.

Terry Reeves

Ann, many American doctors were attached to BEF units for front line and trench experience from 1917. Sounds like your Grandfather was attached to an artillery unit of the Royal Artillery. A battery was a unit of a number of guns each of a single type size and weight although different batteries had different size guns. When deployed for action the battery would be set up behind the front line within range of the enemy. A forward observation post was set up in the front line where observers could spot enemy targets and, via telephone, call down fire on them and also relay corrections of fall of shot. later on in the war this could also be done by aerial spotting and simple wireless(morse code) telegraphy. All guns were horse drawn so once the battery was positioned, usually in a line of a section of 3 or 4 guns, the horses and supporting wagons would be withdrawn to the rear out of range of enemy artillery fire. These were the waggon lines where the horses were kept, men came back for rest food was prepared etc. Each night the guns and men would be resupplied with ammunition, rations etc by wagons from the wagon lines under cover of darkness. in the case of an emergency advance or retreat the horses had to be rapidly summoned from the rear to move the guns.

Apologies it was your great uncle. SG

No need for apologies, I appreciate all the helpful information. I'm adding notes and explainations where I think it would be helpful. There are no WWI scholars in the family. My g-uncle was at the time mentioned above attached to 121 st Brigade, R.F.A., which was part of the 4th army???if I'm reading the web site correctly.

my thanks for all the help. It sort of makes the diary "come alive".

Ann

121st Brigade, RFA served throughout the Great War as part of the Divisional Artillery of the 38th (Welsh) Division. As far as I know there is no unit history of the brigade, but there is a short history of the 38th (Welsh) Division entitled: " A History of the 38th (Welsh) Division" by Lieut. Col. J E , Munby that was published in 1920 and reprinted in 1991 by Ray Westlake. Regards. Dick Flory

Ann, many American doctors were attached to BEF units for front line and trench experience from 1917. Sounds like your Grandfather was attached to an artillery unit of the Royal Artillery. A battery was a unit of a number of guns each of a single type size and weight although different batteries had different size guns. When deployed for action the battery would be set up behind the front line within range of the enemy. A forward observation post was set up in the front line where observers could spot enemy targets and, via telephone, call down fire on them and also relay corrections of fall of shot. later on in the war this could also be done by aerial spotting and simple wireless(morse code) telegraphy. All guns were horse drawn so once the battery was positioned, usually in a line of a section of 3 or 4 guns, the horses and supporting wagons would be withdrawn to the rear out of range of enemy artillery fire. These were the waggon lines where the horses were kept, men came back for rest food was prepared etc. Each night the guns and men would be resupplied with ammunition, rations etc by wagons from the wagon lines under cover of darkness. in the case of an emergency advance or retreat the horses had to be rapidly summoned from the rear to move the guns.

Minor nit pick.

Some (Siege batteries) were mechanically drawn (either motor vehicle or traction engine).

Wagon lines could denote where the horses, etc of the fighting (or F Echelon) were held (including the immediate resupply limbers for the ammunition could be held). When in static positions the ammunition would be "dumped" and the traction means would be withdrawn further to the rear (unless threatened at that immediate time any repositioning would be done during the "dark hours").

Wagon lines could and was used as a generic term for what would now be the B Echelon (and perhaps parts of the A Ecehlon). They were those parts of the battalion (because I have seen the term used with infantry battalions as well), regiment (cavalry and light horse), battery, field company, field ambulance, etc where the administrative elements were stationed (eg clerks, cooks, farriers, etc), where the wagons for resupply forward to the unit fighting elements were held and such facilities as the cook house(s) and forges were located and usually commanded by the unit 2ic. Personnel on their way to (reinforcements, returning from leave, tdy, punishment, etc )/from (school or course, tdy, etc) the unit would be passed through here as well.

Generally speaking wagon lines

Edward