Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German ships list

munchkin

Hi All,

I am interested to find out if there are any ships personell lists. In particular for the German ship SS Oldenburg - Dreadnought. I am looking for a Martin Dietrich who served on this ship. I am not sure of the year but it would be from 1914 - 1916 and not after 1916. I am specifically trying to find out his age when he served on this ship. If anyone can help i would be very greatful.

Thanks

Glynn.

Glynn,

Difficult one. While the war diaries of WWI German warships survive, in my experience these do not include crew lists. You can trace officers from the Ehrenrankriste; it your man was enlisted it would be much more difficult. It's also generally easier to trace personnel that were killed during the war versus those that weren't.

Best wishes,

Michael

Glynn,

Difficult one. While the war diaries of WWI German warships survive, in my experience these do not include crew lists. You can trace officers from the Ehrenrankriste; it your man was enlisted it would be much more difficult. It's also generally easier to trace personnel that were killed during the war versus those that weren't.

Best wishes,

Michael

Michael

what is Ehrenrankriste, please excuse my ignorance.

Glynn

Glynn,

The Ehrenranklist was a publication listing all German naval officers, sorted by rank and seniority within rank. It also included the ships they were assigned to and medals/honors won. It was published yearly through 1918 plus a volume published in the late 1920s covering the war. From these, you can get a good sense of German naval officer's careers.

Michael

Glynn,

My usage of terms could have been better: the yearly lists were Rankliste, the equivalent of the Navy List. The Ehrenrankliste is thework down in teh late 1920s (or so -- I've seen a copy but don't own one) that list covering all WWI German naval officers.

Best wishes,

Michael

Please excuse my little educating excurse:

1. Ehrenrangliste is the listing of honored soldiers

2. Rankliste is the listing of soldier's ranks

Egdert,

Where can i find :-

1. Ehrenrangliste is the listing of honored soldiers

2. Rankliste is the listing of soldier's ranks

Are they on the WWW ?.

Glynn