Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

CHISTLEDON CAMP / WILTS.

Guest NORTHERN BOY

Guest NORTHERN BOY

post-7573-1122075971.jpgI have two correspondences from members of the Canadian Cyclists at this Camp and all are postmarked CHISTLEDON CAMP. I have these postmarks running June 1916 - August 1917. Please note the spelling ! WhenI try to "google", under this spelling, I get a NIL return and a suggested CHISELDON CAMP spelling. I can get no info re the Canadian Cyclists under either spelling.

I have two queries related to this Chistledon Camp - 1) Are both spellings the same Camp ? 2) Was there a BEF Cyclists Base Depot, at this Camp or were just the Canadian Corps Cyclists located there during 1916 - 1917 ? I have the Canadian Corps Cyclist Reserve Company located in SHOREHAM CAMP / SUSSEX, by September 1917.

• Admin

Forgive me if I'm missing something, but all the postmarks say CHILSLEDON, I don't see a T in any postmark. In Wiltshire and the Great war it says that the Canadian Cycling Corps used the camp for training from early 1916.

Regards, Michelle :blink:

Guest NORTHERN BOY
Forgive me if I'm missing something, but all the postmarks say CHILSLEDON, I don't see a T in any postmark. In Wiltshire and the Great war it says that the Canadian Cycling Corps used the camp for training from early 1916.

Regards, Michelle :blink:

Hi Michelle;

Thanks for your help. The T was a typo, but the difference in spelling is Chisledon versus Chiseldon. Are these still the same Camp ? Do you have an end date for usage ? I've got the CDN CYCLISTS in Shoreham Camp, in Sept.'17

As far as I know there is no Chisledon in Wilts. Chiseldon is just south of Swindon.

Rich.

"Chisledon" was the more usual spelling a century ago, but now "Chiseldon" is. Chiseldon Local History Group produced the excellent "The Story of Chiseldon Camp, Part One 1914-1922" in 1998. In its preface, the author, David Bailey, writes: "until quite recently different spellings were in use on the village name boards depending on whether you approached the village from the north or the south". The book has some excellent info on army cyclist activities there, and the cover has a photo of a very smart soldier and his cycle. The book is probably available via Inter-Library Loans. It was sold through local bookshops but not W H Smith's, who required a massive discount. To be honest, it mentions the Canadians only in passing, though it has quite a bit about the (British) Army Cyclist Corps.

I posted some info from it about cyclists on May 20, 2005 - enter "Chiseldon" and "Moonraker" in the search boxes to find it.

Cycle-related material from Chisledon Camp is quite hard to come by, though I do have Army Cyclist Corps Chiseldon (sic) letterhead, June 21 1916 and an Army Cyclist Corps "The Spare Parts" concert programme, March 27 1917.

Guest NORTHERN BOY
"Chisledon" was the more usual spelling a century ago, but now "Chiseldon" is. Chiseldon Local History Group produced the excellent "The Story of Chiseldon Camp, Part One 1914-1922" in 1998. In its preface, the author, David Bailey, writes: "until quite recently different spellings were in use on the village name boards depending on whether you approached the village from the north or the south". The book has some excellent info on army cyclist activities there, and the cover has a photo of a very smart soldier and his cycle. The book is probably available via Inter-Library Loans. It was sold through local bookshops but not W H Smith's, who required a massive discount. To be honest, it mentions the Canadians only in passing, though it has quite a bit about the (British) Army Cyclist Corps.

I posted some info from it about cyclists on May 20, 2005 - enter "Chiseldon" and "Moonraker" in the search boxes to find it.

Cycle-related material from Chisledon Camp is quite hard to come by, though I do have Army Cyclist Corps Chiseldon (sic) letterhead, June 21 1916 and an Army Cyclist Corps "The Spare Parts" concert programme, March 27 1917.

Hi Moonraker;

Thanks for all the great info you provided in this and your post of May 30. I'm going to keep the card with the UR postmark, for my collection. For all your help, please select one of the other ones for yourself. Just let me know where to send it and it will be in the mail for you, on Monday.

Guest NORTHERN BOY
Just to clarify, Chiseldon Camp was the depot of the Army Cyclist Corps until September 1917.

Thank you Charles.  This clears up all my Queries related to Chisledon Camp.

On a related subject, could you point me in the direction of a reference book that might contain info as to what units were in what camp, for a given period.  I know the individual Regimental Histories would contain such info,  but is there a single book that would contain the info, such as Gould's "Location of British CAV, INF, MG Units 1914 -1924", even though this book doesn't help for British camps.  I'm mainly interested in the CEF units & UK Bases.

Charles M

Hi Northern Boy

In our private emails I've just sent you my notes re the First Canadian Contingent on Salisbury Plain, which will give you some info. Len Campbell in his booklet, "1st Canadian Contingent on Salisbury Plain October 1914--March 1915" puts the 2nd & 3rd Brigades at West Down South; the Divisional Supply Column & Artillery at West Down North; the 4th Brigade, the Cavalry, 17th Battalion & Newfoundlanders at Pond Farm Camp;Contingent Headquarters, 1st Brigade, Divisional Mounted Troops & Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry at Bustard; veterinary hospitals at Netheravon Cavalry School & Keeper's Farm (near West Down South).

Another account contrarily states that initially the 2nd Infantry Brigade was at Bustard; Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry at West Down South; and the Medical Corps, Army Service Corps, engineers and mounted troops at West Down North. Kenneth Cameron, "History of No 1 General Hospital, Canadian Expeditionary Force", confirms that the PPCLI, Canadian Ordnance Corps and No 1 Canadian Field Ambulance were at Bustard; the Canadian Army Service Corps at West Down North,

the 2nd and 3rd Infantry Brigades and No 2 Field Canada Ambulance at West Down South, and the Newfoundlanders, 4th Infantry Brigade and No 3 Canadian Field Ambulance at Pond Farm. The Newfoundlanders moved to Bustard on November 9, leaving the Plain on December 3.

The Princess Pats left the Plain on November 16, 1914 for Morn Hill, east of Winchester, Hampshire. They were considered the best of the Canadian units; many of the others were very rough and ready.

As the weather deteriorated, troops were billeted in villages on the edge of the Plain: Lord Strathcona's Horse near Upavon and Pewsey; divisional artillery at or near Devizes; Royal Canadian Dragoons at Winterbourne Stoke.

It can be frustrating compiling a definitive list because of contradictions, confusion over unit titles and the movement of troops in the very wet winter of 1914-15. You will doubtless see some additions and anomalies when perusing my email.

It's no use to you, but the best book for British camps is Brigadier E R James' "British Regiments 1914-1918", which has gone through several editions, one of which is still in print. He must have waded through the histories of cavalry and infantry regiments and gives their movements through the war. Sometimes his source material is imprecise ("Warminster"when it could be one of several camps in nearby villages, or just "Salisbury Plain"). It's arranged by units, so one has to wade through it to spot a particular camp.