Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

col elstob

bernardmcilwaine

has anyone come across the position where col elstob fell,or can show it on a map,very grateful for any positive location or thereabouts,bernard

any ideas,anyone

Come on bernard, give us a chance - some questions take a little longer than a couple of hours to answer!!! :D

If my memory serves me correctly, I believe it was in the area between Havre Trench and Brown Quarry (area of the communication trench above the number "21" and below the word "Havre" in the below scan).

Dave.

post-357-1122074887.jpg

When the enemy entered the Redoubt by a trench leading from the Savy- St Quentin road Elstob erected a bombing block between the attackers and the HQ dug-out. Sniped at and bombed by the enemy he replied by emptying his revolver on a German bombing party a few yards down the trench,accounting for all of them. When his revolver ammunition was exhausted he continued to hold single-handed with bombs the post which he had already sustained against some half-dozen bombing attacks.

According to Sgt Arrundale, the Batt Sig Sgt " In the afternoon the Col took up a rifle and twice crossed the Quarry, the entrance to which was already occupied by the enemy, to cheer up and encourage the Lewis Gunners. I saw him blown five yards by a 77mm shell which had dropped by his side. He was wounded three times but said to me ' Arrundale, they can't damn well kill me'. He asked brigade for a reinforcement of 20 men in order to make a counter-attack but this could not be done". By 2 pm most of the men on Manchester Hill were either dead or wounded and the final hand to hand fighting was taking place.

The Manchester Regiment Will Hold Manchester Hill to the last man.

" At about 11 o'clock Col Elstod informed me that the Germans had broken through and were swarming round the Redoubt. At about 2 pm he said that most of his men were killed or wounded, including himself: that they were all getting dead-beat, that the Germans had got into the Redoubt and hand-to-hand fighting was going on. He was still quite cheery. At 3.30 he was spoken to on the telephone and said that very few were left and that the end was nearly come.

After that on answer could be got".

At about 3 pm a German plane came overhead and at the same time German field artillery pieces were brought up to within 60 yards of the Redoubt. Within the next half hour few of the defenders remained alive. One survivor told of the last words that Elstob used to him were ' Tell the men not to lose heart. Fight on!'. He still held his ground, firing from some twenty-five to thirty yards up the trench. A last assault was made by the enemy who called on Elstob to surrender. He replied"Never" and was shot dead. By 4 pm it was all over and the battered remnants of the 16th Batt The Manchester Regt wounded and exhausted, surrendered.

Here is a more detailed map of the defences of Manchester Hill, as laid out by the REs. (it is marked "secret" so don't show it to anyone). Hope it's of use, Peter.

Michael Stedman gave a talk at Worcester WFA a few weeks ago entitled Wilfreth & Hubert - The German Spring Offensive 1918" which examined Elstob and the Manchester Hill episode in Michael's usual high level of detail and technical wizardry.

Excellent and well worth the effort if he's ever presenting in your locality.

Andy

Michael Stedman gave a talk at Worcester WFA a few weeks ago entitled Wilfreth & Hubert - The German Spring Offensive 1918" which examined Elstob and the Manchester Hill episode in Michael's usual high level of detail and technical wizardry.

Excellent and well worth the effort if he's ever presenting in your locality.

Andy

He will be doing the same talk at the Lancashire and Chesire WFA 'Big Push' on the 16th October along with three other speakers

L&C REGIONAL ' BIG PUSH' 4 Western Front Masters

Wilfreth and Hubert - ( Manchester Hill 1918) - Michael Stedman

22nd Manchesters - 7th City Pals - David Hopkins

4 British Generals of the Great War - Dr. John Bourne

Sportsmen in Paradise - Clive S. Harris

thanks chris,not much chance of me going,they always hold the meetings when ime in work,bernard

Interestingly, the copy of Gough's Fifth Army I have has an "Ex Libris" sticker for Eric Carl Elstob - an unusual name and I wonder if he was any relation......

The "coat of arms" has the incscription "Here we fight and here we die".

Alan

thanks chris,not much chance of me going,they always hold the meetings when ime in work,bernard

16th is a sunday Bernard, probably in the afternoon, i can pick you up if you want

Interestingly, the copy of Gough's Fifth Army I have has an "Ex Libris" sticker for Eric Carl Elstob - an unusual name and I wonder if he was any relation......

The "coat of arms" has the incscription "Here we fight and here we die".

Alan

well it certainly sounds like he's a relation

"Here we fight and here we die". is the famous quote from wifrith's (last?)communication to HQ

which of course he did

chris,mon+tues are my only two days off :(

:( oh well what a shame, it looks like being a good un,