Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

War memorials

Guest Steve Seaman

Guest Steve Seaman

Can anyone help?.

I'm researching my local memorial and the thought occurred to me that duplication of names would have been easily made . For example a soldier could be residing in one town , born in another and enlisted elsewhere.Who and how was it decided as to the most appropriate memorial ? and were any attempts made to prevent duplication.

Thanks

Steve

The simple answer is - No.

Each locality had its own rules as to who was added to their local memorial. These are not 'official' memorials in the sense that they were under any sort of national control. They were spontanious manifestations of a community's feelings of remembrance.

Duplications abound.

Steve

Just to confirm what Terry said, I am also researching about 20 memorials in and around my home town and there aren't any hard and fast rules, I have at least 5 men that appear on 3 memorials, many more are on 2 memorials and unfortuanately there are quite a number that don't appear on any memorial when it appears that they should! If I get my way and enough evidence there are going to be a lot of Parish Councils getting badgered into adding a name or two regarding the latter. Whether it will work or not is a different matter, but good luck with your research!

Best wishes

Mark