Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

7th (Auxiliary) Steam Company

Ron Morris

I have a 1914-15 trio to Captain Edward David Brodie who served with the 306th Auxiliary Motor Transport Company which were later renamed the 7th (Auxiliary) Steam Company.

Does anyone have any information about the activities and movements of this unit?

Kind regards,

Ron.

Ron,

Not an easy one to give an answer on, but in the Order of Battle for November 1918 No.7 Aux (Steam) Coy,A.S.C. is serving on "Lines of Communication". The interesting part is that four sections of 356th Coy,A.S.C. are allotted to it.

As for where they were and what they did, only a trawl through the National Archive might reveal that.

Graham.

Hi Graham,

Thanks for your reply.

I wondered whether they might have been involved with steam locomotives on some kind of railway or possibly with steam traction engines. Perhaps someone else might have more information.

Kind regards,

Ron.

Ron,

I think steam traction is the answer you're looking for, as anything to do with railways came under the direction of the Royal Engineers. From photographs that I've seen regarding these steam traction vehicles, they appear to have been caterpillar tracked and used for the towing of heavy guns. I would suspect they were used as a "heavy mover", shifting all sorts of large equipment.

Graham.

Guest PROCONSUL

Ron,

I think steam traction is the answer you're looking for, as anything to do with railways came under the direction of the Royal Engineers. From photographs that I've seen regarding these steam traction vehicles, they appear to have been caterpillar tracked and used for the towing of heavy guns. I would suspect they were used as a "heavy mover", shifting all sorts of large equipment.

Graham.

Abolutely right. See the History of the ASC for just such a picture

Tim

• 4 weeks later...

You could try the London Transport Museum - research department, as they have a lot of material from across the wars. I have been looking with regard to my Grandfather who was a Omnibus Driver and found a lot of company magazines from that period which had lots of information about people and buses. I recall seeing some about the train companies whilst looking. Give them a try! Good luck :)