Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pilot or Observer Map Board

Guest Gary Davidson

Guest Gary Davidson

I remember reading somewhere that either the pilot or observer sometimes used a device called a “map board” to hold a navigational map while in the air. This was a plank of wood about the size of a bread board with a strap on the bottom to fasten it to the leg (this in an open cockpit), and a slotted roller along each side to facilitate moving from one portion of the map to another while in the air.

Updated from my original post: I believe this is a picture of the kind of "LEG MAP BOARD" I'm talking about. It measures about 7" by 10" inches I'm told. Compass is inset. Rollers have slots for map to be inserted. What type of map would one use with this device?

Gary

post-5505-1121901839.jpg

post-5505-1121902482.jpg

Guest Gary Davidson

Martyn --

Thank you for the kind offer of a copy of the article you mention, and I will certainly take you up on it. I am told the device has a makers mark of “Houghtons Ltd. London 1913” and bears the “military crows mark” along the bottom.

Gary

Hello,

I am currently reading Peter Cooksley's RFC/RNAS Handbook, recommended by someone on the site a while ago (apologies for my memory). This lists the equipment carried by a balloon observer and includes 1/20,000 map on rollers, 1/10,000 map on rollers showing position of ground troops etc etc. It does include a compass. I suppose a compass would be OK in a balloon basket but would be affected by the engine and other ferrous parts of an aeroplane.

Old Tom

I am currently reading Peter Cooksley's RFC/RNAS Handbook, recommended by someone on the site a while ago (apologies for my memory).

Old Tom

Tom

I'm pleased that you're finding the book useful, even though (sniff) the person who recommended it is forgotten.

Regards (sniff)

Gareth

Guest Gary Davidson

Old Tom --

I have the same tome (purchased on the recommendation of Gareth), scanned it in reference to map boards w/ rollers, but apparently aren’t as sharp-eyed as yourself as I missed it first time around. Thanks.

Gary

I have seen one of these in a local militaria shop, I will have to go and have look at it. Didn't know what it was and so didn't take much notice of it.

Steve

Guest Gary Davidson

Steve –

Yes, looks like the same sort of device I pictured. Did you notice if there were any markings such as manufacturer, war dept., date, etc.?

Gary

Guest Gary Davidson

I had the chance to see one of these devices up close and in person, and they are very small (about the size of a DVD case), and the strap is just a little bigger than a watch band. There is a compass needle at the top, and the rollers along the side can be locked down so they don't move. It seems to me this was something worn on the arm (probably back of the forearm).

Gary

Gary,

Not sure this would be of interest to you but we still use map boards, or we sometimes call them leg, or knee boards in flying today.

A bit different than the one you have displayed, but bascially a hard, flat surface with a strap to go around the leg to hold approach plates or anything else a pilot wants to look at without fumbling around the cockpit.

Paul