Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gallipoli : August 1915

FGT

I'm a novice here, so please forgive any inadequacies on my part.

I was brought up to believe that my grandfather, John Still, along with other members of the East Yorkshire Regiment, achieved the summit of Tekke Tepe, only to discover that the defending force was already in place. They retreated, further lives were lost, they surrendered (further lives were lost) and some/one (?) survived to tell the tale.

As the 90th anniversary approaches, I've been trying to find some hard facts so that I know which areas to explore (see my post on 90th anniversary) and I can't find any. There seems to be rumour, hearsay, contradiction, chronological errors etc etc.

If anyone can point me in the right direction to find out more, I would be very grateful. I live in Turkey so can explore the terrain more easily than I can a library/records office!

Thank you for your time and patience.

I'm a novice here, so please forgive any inadequacies on my part.

I was brought up to believe that my grandfather, John Still, along with other members of the East Yorkshire Regiment, achieved the summit of Tekke Tepe, only to discover that the defending force was already in place. They retreated, further lives were lost, they surrendered (further lives were lost) and some/one (?) survived to tell the tale.

As the 90th anniversary approaches, I've been trying to find some hard facts so that I know which areas to explore (see my post on 90th anniversary) and I can't find any. There seems to be rumour, hearsay, contradiction, chronological errors etc etc.

If anyone can point me in the right direction to find out more, I would be very grateful. I live in Turkey so can explore the terrain more easily than I can a library/records office!

Thank you for your time and patience.

According to the Regimental History of the East Yorks... "The 6th (Service) Battalion, by a brilliant feat of arms penetrated to the key position - Tekke Tepe- at dawn on 9th August, and would have held it had they been supported. The history speculates that "the Gallipoli Campaign would have had a very different ending" had a brigade pushed to the top of Teke Tepe during the afternoon or evening of 8th August.

Fgt,

On reaching the top of Tekke Tepe on the 9th August 1916 a number of the 6th EYR were made Prisoner of War (131 posted as missing) Whilst at the top thier CO Lt. Col. HGA Moore was bayoneted and killed. Capt John Still Adjutant was also captured at ythe same. He survived and wrote "A Prisoner in Turkey" here is a quote compliments of Brigantian(Mark) from the post POW in Turkey. I have not yet found the book.

We reached the point where the ravine ended, and in the scrub ahead of us we saw a number of men who fired upon us. For a moment we thought they were our own, firing in ignorance. Then we saw that they were Turks. We had run into the back of an enemy battalion which held the lower slopes against our supports. They had crossed the range at a point lower than that we had attacked, and had cut in behind our climbing force. We could do nothing but surrender.

When we held up our hands some dozen or more of the enemy charged towards us with fixed bayonets. And we began to experience that strange mixture of nature, so characteristic of the Turks, from which we and our fellows were to suffer much in the years to come.

The man who took possession of me searched my pockets and annexed everything of military use except my revolver, which had fallen out of my, hand a minute before, when I had been knocked down by a bullet that glanced off a rock on to my leg. He took out my purse and saw that it contained five sovereigns in gold (more than I have ever seen since) and a good deal in silver. Then he gave it back to me, and apparently told me to keep it. The pay of a Turkish private is, or was, ten piastres a month, nominally about one shilling and eightpence. My captor was a good Turk. Later on, when I came to know how rare good Turks were, I was filled with marvel.

Of those taken with me, one was not molested; one was fired at from five yards' distance, missed, and quietly captured; one was beaten and fired at. Thank God the man who fired at him hit the man who was beating him and broke his wrist. The fourth, my Colonel, was bayoneted. Then, for the moment their fury ceased. I was permitted to tend the Colonel. He did not seem to suffer pain at all, only to be intensely thirsty. He drank the whole of the contents of my water-bottle as well as his own. They even allowed me to carry him on my back; and on my back the Colonel died. May he rest in peace! He was a brave man, and a good friend to me.

Regards Charles

Thank you both for your swift response.

I know what my grandfather wrote in "A Prisoner In Turkey", I have his book. Is this story substantiated elsewhere?

From my limited accessibility to other sources there doesn't seem to be much/any corroboration. Do the Turkish sources allow this happened, for example?

From my limited research, most sources do not mention any British presence on Tekke Tepe - the only mention it seems to warrant is as an example of the disarray and lack of leadership at that time in that Tekke tepe was a crucial objective which was not met.

I also understand that the East Yorks Regiment were on Scimitar Hill (c 3kms as the crow flies south west of Tekke Tepe) on the evening of 8th August and were then ordered back to "Sulajik" in the early hours of 9th August. Given the terrain, is it physically possible that they could then have covered so much ground, up hill, in the heat of August, under fire, and reached the top in such a short space of time? Dawn on the 9th???

It is not that I doubt the word of my grandfather, just that I would have expected something to substantiate it from another source, it sounds like a momentous undertaking so why is there little/no record of it except in the words of JS? Even Hamilton quotes him!

Can anyone direct me towards any other sources? Many thanks.

BTW I've recently seen copies of JS's books listed on www.abebooks.co.uk

Westlake writes:

"9th August

HQ with D Co advanced with little opposition at first. Remaining co's, War Diary states, followed and due to their being in an extreme state of exhaustion and without explicit instructions failed to keep in touch with the leading wave. Various reports by officers leading A, B & C Cos record the exhausted state of the men. Also coming under heavy fire from side, front and rear which could not be located. D moved up lower slope - "the fire poured in from concelaed Turkish trenches and our men were unable to hold their ground". Btn withdrew and concentrated at The Cut on "A Beach". Casualties (lists about a dozen officers) ... J. Still taken prisoner; 20 Other ranks killed, 104 wounded, 28 wounded & missing."

Mentions the Lt Col Moore was bayoneted in the back after surrendering, and refers to "In his book - A prisoner in Turkey - Lt John Still records the advance as being over rouigh ground, some men getting lost in the prickly scrub."

Lucky man FGT, having your own book to refer to mate!

Dear FGT,

The allied forces never reached Tekke Tepe.

I have several sources and if you send me a PM with your e-mail address I can forward you some maps/sketches with more details on the situation of 7-9th August, taken from the official history of Aspinall.

Please note that these files will be close to 2 MB each.

cheers

eric

PS : attached a pic taken from Lala Baba with K. (Kavak Tepe) & T. (Tekke Tepe) in the back.

post-7070-1122117232.jpg

FGT/Eric

There is some corroboration for the 6th East Yorks reaching the top of Tekke Tepe. After repatriation at the end of 1918 Captain Elliott, who was taken prisoner at the same time as Lieutenant Still, submitted a report outlining the circumstances of his capture. The report survives in his service papers at the National Archives. This is what he said:

At midnight on the 8th-9th August /15 we were withdrawn from a position to the E of the SALT LAKE, which we had occupied with slight opposition, to an old Turkish trench about ¾ mile nearer the sea. At about 4 AM on the 9th orders were received that we were to make a dawn attack on the hill known as TEKE TEPE. “D” Company 6th East Yorkshire Regt was on the left nearest opposite to the hill. Lieut Colonel Moore Comdg 6 East York R. ordered as many of us as possible to advance immediately for dawn was now nearly up.

We started about 100 strong & came under heavy rifle fire from both flanks as we approached the foothills & particularly from the position from which we had been withdrawn during the previous night. Capt Grant Comdg “D” Company was hit & I took charge. At the foothills Col. Moore gave me the necessary orders & the position I was to make for. We started up TEKE TEPE about 60 strong. Lieut Wilson, who was killed, leading the party on my left & I leading the other party. Lieut RAWSTORNE was to collect men who came later & to join up on my right. When about half way up the hill we extended having come under rifle fire from the higher ground above. Nearly at the top we found that a deep fold separated us from the top of the hill. It was impossible to advance further, the enemy were in large numbers round by on the East of the hill. I waited for reinforcements. We were now about 30 strong & under heavy rifle fire.

LIEUT COL. MOORE, Lieut STILL & MAJOR BRUNNER RE came up about 15 minutes later with some more men & I reported to Col MOORE that the enemy were above us in very superior numbers & after considering he ordered us to retire with the remnants. I took charge of a small party to cover the retirement where necessary. When nearly at the bottom of the hill we were surrounded & Col MOORE ordered us to surrender. When we had surrendered Col MOORE made an attempt to sit on the bank of the ravine & was bayoneted thro’ the back, he died about 10 minutes later.

Lieut RAWSTORNE, who I did not see at all until we were at the HQ of General LEMON VON-SANDERS, appears to have taken up about 10 men. The men captured consisted of about 6 taken with Lieut RAWSTORNE, a number of men who did not get beyond the foothills, some who did not get the order to retire & 3 or 4 signallers & other men who arrived down safely with Col MOORE, Lieut STILL & myself. Whilst up the hill I could see the remainder of the Battalion being attacked so we could not expect reinforcements and I was powerless to help them.

R D Elliott Capt

6th E York R

Regards

Mark

Dear Mark,

Thank you for that !

Think I will go and have a look there sometime next month ...

eric

• 4 months later...

I'm a descendant of Lt Col H.G.A. Moore - he was my great grandfather, so would be keen to hear of any information you can find of the campaign and his untimely death. I have in my posession letters he wrote to my grandmother, Kitty, during the campaign and his time in the Sudan and Turkey.

SJT,

Welcome to the forum your G Grandfather and his battalion has been discused on the forum more than once.

Search on "Teke Tepe" theres some threads worth reading, I hope you find out more than you know.

FGT. is the Grandson of Lt Still in whos arms your G grandfather died.

Regards Charles

I've discovered some information about Sir William Stopford who was tasked to oversee the Landings at Suvla Bay, which were the beginning of the attack at ANZAC Cove and the attempt to secure Tekke Tepe. It would appear that he was both elderly and inexperienced. This quote is taken from the website www.firstworldwar.com

"Sir Frederick William Stopford (1854-1929) served on the Gallipoli Front in 1915 and was tasked with command of the failed attack launched from Suvla Bay in August 1915.

Stopford's military career was already drawing to its close when the First World War began in August 1914. He acted out the first few months of the war as Lieutenant of the Tower of London, a ceremonial posting well-suited to the somewhat elderly Stopford.

His next appointment however was stark in contrast. He was despatched by war minister Lord Kitchener to the Gallipoli peninsula, there to serve under Commander-in-Chief Sir Ian Hamilton. Given Stopford's background in predominantly staff positions the decision to hand him active command of IX Corps in June 1915 at Suvla Bay was startling.

It was Stopford who was charged with breaking the deadlock at Gallipoli by leading an attack from Suvla Bay upon the heights around the peninsula. Lacking energy and suffering from ill-health Stopford's long-distance command (from an off-shore battleship) was found entirely wanting in direction and focus.

Thus the attack which began on 6 August 1915 quickly became bogged down, in spite of initial success. Had a more able and active commander held command it is at least possible (if not probable) that a breakthrough may have been achieved. In the event Stopford's obvious failure resulted in his being sent home to England in mid-August."

Charles

Thank you so much for this. I'm thrilled to be able to find out more about G. Grandpa's service history.

I do have an additional question! I have some buttons of his from his uniform, which are the Royal Warwickshire Regiment and have the Antelope on them. How does the Royal Warwickshire Regiment fit into the EYR?

Thanks so much for your help.

SJT

Charles

You're a wonder!

SJT

• 5 months later...

Dear Pals,

Is there anybody who has got the book of J. Still, a prisoner in Turkey, and who would be prepared to transcribe or scan a passage for me ??

Thanks in advance

eric

Eric

I have a copy - what do you want scanning?

Regards

Mark

Greeeeaaaat !!!!

I need the page(s) when the East Yorkshires attack Tekketepe, the remainder is surrounded and Lt-Colonel Moore is being bayonetted.

It should be at the beginning of the book. I have heard it is around p. 30

Dear Mark, I will Pm you with my e-mail.

Again thanks a million !!

eric

• 1 month later...

In the end I made it to Tekke Tepe ...

Attached a few pics

eric

another one

post-7070-1152765777.jpg

post-7070-1152765858.jpg

from the slopes of Tekke ... below the Suvla plain with (from left to right) Scimitar, Green and Chocolate

eric

post-7070-1152765945.jpg