Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Basra Memorial

Geoff Parker

Dont know if anyone has been following the BBC 2 serials on the

last Iraqi war, but last night the programme ended with two officers

from the Black Watch visiting the memorial at Basra. In particular the panel listing those from the Black Watch who died there. They ran through names making various comments, then springled red feathers from some

hackels on the floor. What the surprise me was both then walked away without saluting the memorial. Anyway there was a nice shot of the whole memorial before the above.

Yeah- watched it and was quite amazed that it was still standing frankly- in a poor state of repair and a strange red colour stone wasn't it?

Guest Hill 60
What the surprise me was both then walked away without saluting the memorial.

Yes, I was a little suprised that they both just walked off without saluting. But, was it my imagination that the second officer to walk away looked as if he wanted to do 'something' but seemed a little hesitant before walking off?

Come on lads give the guys a break, they made the journey to it, and paid their respects on behalf of the Battalion. Plus, they only showed a clip of a couple of minutes I am sure those two officers were there a lot longer than that and may have saluted! I thought the act of sprinkling hackles was a more symbolic gesture than a salute anyhow, especially considering that one of their battalion had recently lost his life.

What was interesting is when you think how many Regiment's still exist in the same form as that in WW1 (very few), the Black Watch being one of them and there was serving soldiers commemorating men of the same regiment who died in a campaign 80 odd years before. Cheers Neil.

By the way looking at the poor state of the memorial I think it reinforces my personal opinion that in a country such as Iraq, the Government and member countries of the CWGC should make steps (and money available) to attempt to centralise all the known was graves and memorials into one site, I do not hold much hope that scattered sites, even when refurbished etc will remain in that condition for long. One site would be easier to maintain and secure.

Guest Hill 60
Come on lads give the guys a break, they made the journey to it, and paid their respects on behalf of the Battalion.

Hey Drummy, I'm not having a go at them. I just said that I was a little suprised that they didn't salute, but maybe I have high standards.

I have worn a uniform, of various sorts (not including school uniform), for about 25 years. I was taught, from day one, that if I came in close contact to salute things like; war memorials & funeral processions.

Yes you're right, at least they made the effort to attend the cemetery. And, yes, we only saw a little of the filming and if they had saluted then it could have been edited out or not filmed at all.

At least one local serving territorial (and occasional at NorthantsWFA) has relayed back the info that thaey have visited the Basra cemetery and Basra memorial so it seems that a fiar few serving soldiers in the area have visited.

Lee

Yes I agree, the second office certainly seems very hesitant about walking

away and yes it had occurred to be that they possibly saluted out of camera shot.

Geoff

The CWGC news page on their website has descirbed their plans for the Iraq cemeteries in the future, once the area is less hazardous.

I will be visiting the said memorial very soon, local conditions alllowing.

Qman9193,

I am wondering if it would be possible for you to help out, if you are visiting the memorial, there is a local man commemorated on the memorial and it would be great to obtain a photograph of the panel on which his name is listed, likewise another local man is buried in Basra war cemetery if you are near there and have time and a camera. If you are able to help out can you let me know by email and I will pass on further details. Best wishes Neil.