Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

stiletto_33853

During the month of July 1915 the 14th Division had extended its line southwards, taking over the Hooge Trenches from the 3rd Division. In the process of this movement the 41st Infantry Brigade gave up to the 42nd Brigade their trenches near Railway Wood and took over the new ground, the 7th Rifle Brigade relieving the 1st Gordon Highlanders on July 22nd.
As a parting gift to the incoming troops, or a final gesture of defiance to the enemy, the 3rd Division exploded a mine of such dimensions as to bring into existence the celebrated Hooge Crater, and postpone the relief for twenty four hours owing to the condition in which it left the ground.
By way of reply the enemy settled down to a steady bombardment of the crater with heavy trench mortars - necessitating the abandonment of the crater edge, a step involving the most serious consequences in the immediate future.

Andy

• 1 month later...
During the month of July 1915 the 14th Division had extended its line southwards, taking over the Hooge Trenches from the 3rd Division. In the process of this movement the 41st Infantry Brigade gave up to the 42nd Brigade their trenches near Railway Wood and took over the new ground, the 7th Rifle Brigade relieving the 1st Gordon Highlanders on July 22nd.

As a parting gift to the incoming troops, or a final gesture of defiance to the enemy, the 3rd Division exploded a mine of such dimensions as to bring into existence the celebrated Hooge Crater, and postpone the relief for twenty four hours owing to the condition in which it left the ground.

By way of reply the enemy settled down to a steady bombardment of the crater with heavy trench mortars - necessitating the abandonment of the crater edge, a step involving the most serious consequences in the immediate future.

Andy

Is this what you wanted me to read Andy?

What were they thinking?? how awful!

Annie