Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sailors Died

Roy Evans

I have the CD version of 'Soldiers Died Great War' and a book of 'Airmen Died'.

Is there a naval equivalent?

Roy

Hello Roy

Outside the CWG booklets, I know of only one and that is the CROSS OF SACRIFICE books by Jarvis. It is from CWG rolls and contains no information not contained there.

If there were a good comprehensive source, I would certainly buy it!

don

There is the 'First World war - Army, Army Officer and Navy War Deaths' CD set.

This is the index to the GRO Overseas Death Certificate list (includes UK deaths for Navy). It gives name, number, rank, unit (ship), year of death plus certificate reference number.

Available from www.genealogysupplies.com or online at www.1837online.com

Not quite as much detail as 'Soldiers' and 'Airmen' but a start.

Thanks Don and Terry,

'Cross of Sacrifice' would seem not to be worth getting but the CD could be worth a look.

Roy

And there's 'With Full and Grateful Hearts, a register of Royal Marine Deaths 1914-1919' (Royal Marines Historical Society 1991, available from N&MP). It list RM deaths by name, by ship and by burial / memorial location, with the following details: rank, number, date of death, ship/unit and place (general, e.g. France, Jutland, Belgium etc.).

I've got a copy if anyone wants look-ups.

Thanks Don and Terry,

'Cross of Sacrifice' would seem not to be worth getting but the CD could be worth a look.

Roy

I disagree. The "Cross of Sacrifice" is a book that I am always pulling off the shelf. It may not have additional information but it's handiness, at any time of the day or night, to look up casualties without staring at a computer screen makes it a welcome addition to anyones library.

I have to confess that I started to compile a 'Sailors Died' database some time ago but it is progressing very slowly at the moment due to other pressures and it may never see the light of day.

It, if ever finished, will include all Commonwealth naval and Mercantile Marine casualties.

Andrew; Many thanks,

Jim, Point taken, again thanks,

Terry, if you didn't spend so much time on the forum, ..............! Cheers

Roy

I disagree. The "Cross of Sacrifice" is a book that I am always pulling off the shelf. It may not have additional information but it's handiness, at any time of the day or night, to look up casualties without staring at a computer screen makes it a welcome addition to anyones library.

It also mentions the cause of death (KIA, DOW, Drowned, etc.) for a majority of cases, something that the online CWGC listings don't.

I agree with Jim, a very handy set of books.

Dave.

It also mentions the cause of death (KIA, DOW, Drowned, etc.) for a majority of cases, something that the online CWGC listings don't.

I agree with Jim, a very handy set of books.

Dave.

O.K. Dave, looks like I'll have to crack open the piggy-bank yet again.

Thanks to all.

Roy