Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tail-End Charlies

Derek Robertson

There is no Great War interest in this book but as someone who has read quite a few tomes on both conflicts, this book left me wholly in admiration of those men of Bomber command who night after night flew to the Third Reich and died in their tens of thousands.

In this book, John Nichol (of 1st Gulf War tornado fame) and Tony Rennell tell the story of the controversial last battles of Bomber Command, 1944-45, through the eyes of the men who fought them.

And this is where this book excels: is in the first hand accounts of those who survived.

In places there seems like there is repetition in the text and a feeling that the story has been disjointed but overall the book is an excellent and fitting tribute to the men of Bomber Command.

Derek

Totally agree mate - its an excellent read and I do have a fascination for the old Lancs.

Glyn

I concur: I found it difficult to put down. Only realised who Nichol was the other day ...... makes no difference, but he clearly has insight.

I thought it was good social history and put a very different perspective on the strategic bombing campaign compared to the period before they began D-day preparations in 1944.

I would also recommend D-Day Bombers: the Veterans Story by Stephen Darlow, Grub Street, 2004. I think it complements Tail End Charlies and covers related ground from a slightly different perspective. It covers both Bomber Command and 8th AAF.

Agreed.... i have a signed book by over 10 veterens and found it simply superb.

I also find this a good read and i have this one signed by no less than 17 vets!!.

clicky.

Mick.