Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Location of French National Cemeteries

bobpike

Some years ago whilst visiting the museum at Notre Dame de Lorette I perused their copy of a French visual atlas that showed the location of all their military cemeteries (Paul Reed has a copy I believe & knows the exact title). Since then I have tried to obtain a copy from the Historial, other book outlets & surfing AbeBooks etc, etc., all to no avail. So are their any Pals, please, who knows where I can get a copy, or even a photo-copy of it?

This atlas should not be confused by a recently-produced French paperback (which I have) compiled by a lady which locates all these French cemeteries (as well as British, German etc) but although interesting give no specific & exact details of where they are (e.g. Pozieres is a village x kms east of Amiens etc....)

Some years ago whilst visiting the museum at Notre Dame de Lorette I perused their copy of a French visual atlas that showed the location of all their military cemeteries (Paul Reed has a copy I believe & knows the exact title). Since then I have tried to obtain a copy from the Historial, other book outlets & surfing AbeBooks etc, etc., all to no avail. So are their any Pals, please, who knows where I can get a copy, or even a photo-copy of it?

Bob.

This is uncanny! I posted a scan of this atlas in a thread only yesterday!!!

It's called (not very surprisingly!) the Atlas des Necropoles Nationales and was published by La Documentation Francais . It's ISBN number is 2-11-002737-1.

Dave.

To Dave,

Does this book, ' Atlas des Necropoles Nationales ' also speaks about the after the ww1 cleared French cemeteries in the Ypres salient (Rening(h)elst).

Thanks,

Gilbert Deraedt

Dave, Many thanks, yes that's the one. I suspect it's out of print (which is what the Historial suspected), but hopefully there's one out there somewhere!

Bob

The full details are :-

Atlas des Nécropoles Nationales, Ministère des Anciens Combattants et Victimes de Guerre, published by La documentation Française, 1994, ISBN: 2-11-002737-1

Do any of our French pals know if you can get it from the Ministere or the publishers, & if so how, please?

To Dave,

Does this book, ' Atlas des Necropoles Nationales ' also speaks about the after the ww1 cleared French cemeteries in the Ypres salient (Rening(h)elst).

Thanks,

Gilbert Deraedt

No. It just lists (with details) ,the current French cemeteries.

Dave.

Do any of our French pals know if you can get it from the Ministere or the publishers, & if so how, please?

Bob.

If it's any use to you, the publisher's telephone number is +(0)1 40.15.70.00.

If anyone knows, they will! (I take it that you'll know where to find the details for the M.A.C.?)

Dave.

Dave<

I'll try them next, but at the moment I've e-mailed them (also various retail outlets for the publishers), an easier medium for my average French!

Many thanks,

Bob