Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British troops at Dixmude

Bob Chandler

I'm been reading up a little on the Battle of the Yser / Dixmude area in preparation for a trip to the Boyau de la Mort. Most of the books I have (general histories) state that the British lines stopped short of Dixmude and that the allied trenches in the 'flooded' area north of Dixmude were occupied exclusively by French and Belgian troops, no British, but one or two authors seem to imply that British troops occupied trenches & fought in this area in October 1914. Could anyone clarify this for me? If British troops were there, who were they? Thanks Charles

• 3 weeks later...

i have read somewhere the Royal marines were there...

I don't think any British troops were there in 1914; the Royal Marines of the Naval Division were some distance away. The only Marines I know of at Dixmuide were French ones.

However, in 1917/18 there were some British units in the area; but not in the front line. One of my old veteran pals, Malcolm Vyvyan had his Siege Battery (96th SB RGA) in nearby Pervyse. They were largely firing in support of Belgian troops and had several fire missions on the Dixmuide area.

You will be impressed by The Trench of Death; it is an excellent area of preserved trenches and the new tower/museum is very good indeed; and it's all free!

i possibly mixed up...

but there were brits in Nieuport?

However, in 1917/18 there were some British units in the area; but not in the front line.

Paul;

I am not a real expert here, but I believe that in mid-1917 the British decided to make a drive up the coast, and to use three 700 foot mobile "piers" to land on the coast behind the German lines. So they took over the front from the French or Belgians, perhaps in late June.

The Germans, to forstall this, attacked the British bridgehead across the Yser, bombing the bridges, using coordinated close air support, and finally a charge by German Marines, with the help of 30 flame throwers. They captured the bridgehead, few British troops were able to get out, due to the bombed bridges, and the Germans collected 1284 POWs. German casualties were light; the two companies of flame pioneers involved lost three men.

This was recently discussed in detail, possibly here, or possibly on the WW I section of the Axis History forum. I think it was listed by the Flemish name for the sector, something like "Lombardizie" or something like that. (My "Flemish" {actually Dutch} is quite wobbly.)

Bob Lembke

but there were brits in Nieuport?

Yes. In the Summer to the early Winter of 1917 (66th and then the 42nd Divisions amongst other units). They were replaced by the French in October/November.

Dave.

Paul;

This was recently discussed in detail, possibly here, or possibly on the WW I section of the Axis History forum. I think it was listed by the Flemish name for the sector, something like "Lombardizie" or something like that. (My "Flemish" {actually Dutch} is quite wobbly.)

Bob Lembke

"Lombardsijde", sometimes also mentioned as "Lombardzijde". It is just across the "IJzer"- stream.

Erwin

Paul;

I am not a real expert here, but I believe that in mid-1917 the British decided to make a drive up the coast, and to use three 700 foot mobile "piers" to land on the coast behind the German lines. So they took over the front from the French or Belgians, perhaps in late June.

The Germans, to forstall this, attacked the British bridgehead across the Yser, bombing the bridges, using coordinated close air support, and finally a charge by German Marines, with the help of 30 flame throwers. They captured the bridgehead, few British troops were able to get out, due to the bombed bridges, and the Germans collected 1284 POWs. German casualties were light; the two companies of flame pioneers involved lost three men. 

Bob Lembke

Hi Bob,

Both the planned landing and the action at Nieuport in July 1917 did indeed happen, but I am not sure the Germans got the upper hand and prevented the landing; it was more the British ended up abandoning it as impossible.

However, both these incidents were outside of the Dixmuide sector.