Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Northumberland Fusiliers

Walter WEBSTER b: 1884 Yorkshire was Private 47417 Northumberland Fusiliers acc. to his marriage cert. in 1919. A local Yorkshire newspaper dated 5 June 1918 states he was a PoW in Germany.

Ive managed to locate his Medal Card on TNA but havent yet purchased it, anyway not too sure whether it would detail his time as a PoW. Ive also searched the online database at Series WO161, TNA but Walters details arent on.

So is anyone able to point me in any other directions???

Kind regards, Sharren.

hiya sharren,graham stewart and some of the others may help,its difficult tracing POWs,but they will do their best,bernard [alias mack] ;)

Sharren,

Have checked my database and the only two Red Cross Lists that I have for 1918, which are October and December, but in both cases 47417 Walter Webster wasn't listed. I then back through the database to see what would be going on either side of his number and it appears that those around his number are serving with the 23rd Bn, Northumberland Fusiliers(4th Tyneside Scottish). A lot of them also seem to have been drafted in from the Royal Field Artillery.

Sorry this isn't of much help to you, but as Bernard pointed out they're very difficult to trace as many are simply described as "Missing" in the sources that we have available.

The Red Cross in Switzerland do have all WWI POW archives, but it's recently been pointed out to me since I joined the Forum, that they now charge a large amount of money to do searches.

Sorry I couldn't be of any more help.

Graham.

Thanks very much for taking the time to search on my behalf, Graham. i knew it was going to be a long shot anyhow.

Hiya Bernard/Mack, fancy seeing you here ;)

Kind regards, Sharren