Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A Gunner with an MC

Sue Light

His WWII career as Gunner Gunning looks as though it was a little short.

Was his AA regiment a TA unit?

And congratulations, Sue on reaching 1,000 posts.

Sue

Thanks for the photo, a millenium picture so to speak. There is a bit of a mystery though. His WW1 service as per the November 1918 Army list shows him as a Lt in the Machine Gun Corps (Infantry) , attached to the Admiralty with a seniority date of 6 July 1916. The December 1919 Army List also shows him as Lt MGC. Not sure where his service in Rifle Brigade came from unless he transferred after WW1.

His unit was a Territorial Heavy AA Regiment which was formed at Parkstone, Dorset on 1st January 1939.

Terry Reeves

And congratulations, Sue on reaching 1,000 posts.

And apparently I'm now entitled to membership of that very secret part of the forum known as the '1,000-up Club' :lol:

Gunner Gunning has quite a bit of family information on his CWGC entry, but maybe he should be included in the 'Beware the Family Myth' thread! The NA Catalogue shows a file that's possibly his in WO339, so I'll have a look sometime when I'm there.

Sue

Gunning was commissioned as a 2nd Lieutenant in the 8th (Service) Battalion of the Rifle Brigade on 9 December 1914 and was attached to the Machine Gun Corps as a 2nd Lieutenant on 1 February 1916.

Dick

Forgot to mention that 72nd (Hampshire) AA Regiment, RA was mobilized in September 1939 and served with Home Forces until going to North Africa in November 1942. He must have died shortly after his unit was mobilized. Dick