Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

what do the squares mean?

munchkin

Hi All,

i have just received this flight log from a Zeppelin's flight back in 1916. I am confused and at a loss to work out what the squares and numbers mean. Is it that the squares are equal to so many square miles/kilometers. As for the strange numbers, well, i cant even start to guess !!. Any help will be very much appreciate.

Thanks

Glynn

[Broken link removed]

By "strange numbers" are you referring to the Greek letters? Phil B

Sorry Phil, i am indeed referring to these. Have you any idea ?.

Glynn.

They`re just the equivalents of "A" & "B" etc. I don`t think there`s any special significance in their being in Greek. Not much help there, then! :( Phil B

My guess would be grid references - each one equal to a certain distance. I notice they're over the North Sea and it is very easy to get lost. I assume they (the pilots) would know their current speed & heading and be able to work out where they are.

The Greek letters could be anything- it's all double Dutch to me :lol:

Les.

They got their position by radio. They would radio back to base and get their position that way, or as far as i can gather that's how they did it. Would you know how many miles are to one square?

Glynn.

I notice they`re not regular - I assume that`s so that a spy listener couldn`t assume that say 100alpha is next to 101alpha? Phil B

I notice they`re not regular - I assume that`s so that a spy listener couldn`t assume that say 100alpha is next to 101alpha? Phil B

Good point Phil.

I did not notice that. I presume that you are correct. I wonder if it was different for every mission, in case the British had a german 'code' book.

Glynn.

Hello,

A couple of guesses. I know that many maps in use in WW1 did not had grids. The example seems to be an British production (the names are not German). The squares are only over the sea. One duty for an airship crew would be to report the location of ships observed. Reference to square numbers would be useful and quick, possibly even secure if the grids were changed from time to time. I would have thought that crews would find their position by dead reckoning and 'marine. navigation. Were radio location techniques available? I wonder!

Old Tom

Hello,

A couple of guesses. I know that many maps in use in WW1 did not had grids.  The example seems to be an British production (the names are not German).  The squares are only over the sea. One duty for an airship crew would be to report the location of ships observed. Reference to square numbers would be useful and quick, possibly even secure if the grids were changed from time to time. I would have thought that crews would find their position by dead reckoning and 'marine. navigation. Were radio location techniques available? I wonder!

Old Tom

Tom

Radio was used at this time. I am under the understanding that this grid map was completed by the Zeppelin Captain after every raid, along with other paperwork relevant to the mission. The documents that i have are certainly very thorough and all written in German. If i could scan all the map, you would see that the British part of the North Sea is in English, and the German part is in German (Strange). Thanks for your input.

Glynn.