Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Colchester Town Hall's Roll of Honour

Arthur

Hi

For those of you who might find this snippet of information of interest.

The name of Robert Jackson, Company Serjeant Major, No: 9549, who served with the 2nd Bn. Durham Light Infantry. Serving in France & FlandersHe died of wounds inon the 10th November 1915. His name has just recently been added to the Roll of Honour at Colchester Town Hall at the request of his great niece who had visited the town and noticed that his name was recorded on the Roll.

C.S.M. Jackson was not a native of Colchester however, he had been living in the town since his marriage in 1914. He was born at Ebberston, Scarborough and enlisted at York.

Regards

Arthur

I suppose this shows the difficulty of deciding whether to put a name on a Memorial or Roll of Honour, especially if they were not born and bred there. I imagine different town and cities had different criteria (certainly just post war). It's good news to see it was finally put right.

Arthur-Was CSM Jackson a pre war regular or territorial? Had his unit been based in Colchester in 1914? People didn't move around the Country so much then , but I imagine serving soldiers might.

Hi

It is nice to know that someone is finally being recognized for their services and for the price they had to pay for doing it.

CSM Jackson spent six years in the D.L.I. After his marriage to Gladys English in 1914 he lived in Mersea Road, Colchester, they had one child. [so I should assume that they were staioned there during that period. However, when I next go into Colchester I will try and find out when the Battalion was stationed there.]

On the 4th August 1914 the Battalion is shown as being stationed in Lichfield. The Battalion landed at St. Nazaire 10/09/1914, and he went to the front on the 4th January 1915.

Regards

Arthur