Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Canadian Rank

Sgt York

I've come across the following Canadian rank abbreviation:

C.D.T.

Could possibly be connected to the cavalry, any help appreciated.

Ronnie.

Ivor,

Thanks for your blisteringly quick reply.

I'll keep your suggestion in mind in my ongoing research.

Ronnie.

Ronnie, can you give any further hints as to context or date?

Peter :blink:

Peter,

The only information I was given, is that their grandfather was in the Canadian army in WWI and they think he was in the cavalry - he survived the war and I've found him on the NAC. His attestation papers have been digitised, but as you know, there's a problem at present trying to download from the NAC. Information on his download page for his papers, it states his rank as CDT.

Waiting with bated breath for the NAC to sort out the problem.

Ronnie.

Ronnie, give me his reg number and I will make some educated guesses as to his unit.

Peter

d = dragoon (?) t = trooper (?) Some sense individually, but not together . . .

c = Canadian, company, corps . . .

Peter,

You have his NAC details in the e-mail I sent you.

Dean,

Thanks for your reply along with what Jock suggested, looks most likely to be the meaning .

Cheers,

Ronnie.

I have seen this before. It stands for cadet.

Hi Dean:

I've also seen this abbreviation for cadet, but it was CDT (no periods between the letters).

I'm wondering, if this abbreviation appears on the man's attestation papers, might it not stand for something other than a rank? For example, Construction (or Company) Draft Troops, Construction (or Company) Depot Troops, or Company Divisional Train?

It'll be interesting to see what Peter can glean from the information Ronnie e-mails him.

Garth

Mordac,

The abbreviation is CDT, I made the initial mistake of writing it C.D.T. - So used to reading and writing everything from this period in abbreviations.

Sorry for confusion.

Ronnie.

The abbreviation is CDT, I made the initial mistake of writing it C.D.T.  - So used to reading and writing everything from this period in abbreviations.

Hi Ronnie:

I think in the end your CDT will probably end up being cadet.

However, reading your first post a little bell started ringing. I think I've seen this abbreviation also used with the Canadian Railway Troops. I've scoured my two railway histories and can't find the reference. Yet...

Please let us know what CDT stands for when you solve the puzzle. Thanks.

Garth

P.S. The NAC site STILL isn't calling up attestation paper. Hope they fix this problem soon. :(

I've just downloaded the man's attestation papers, he attested into the 15th Battery, CFA with no rank given on the papers. I'm still no wiser as to what CDT means? :(