Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Boyau De La Mort or Yorkshire Trench?

Bob Chandler

I need to decide whether to visit Dixmude and the Boyau De La Mort (neither of which I've been to before) or do a return visit to Ypres and see the Yorkshire Trench (I have been to Ypres several times but not yet seen the Y.T.). I would appreciate some insights from forum members who've visited either/both as to how they compare. In an ideal world of course I'd go to both but funds will only permit a flying visit at present. Is Dixmude a good place to eat out? What's the tower museum like? Any views appreciated. Charles

The tower museum is excellent + the little museum at the "tench of death" / Boyau De La Mort is nice too + free.

I prefere Boyau De La Mort because it is a very unique stronghold + trenches + pillboxes. You can see a lot.

The two can hardly compare. Boyau the la Mort and the Yser Tower museum have more to offer. (with the reconstructed dug-out between 2 floors)

Aurel

Looks like it's going to going to be Dixmude then! Many thanks to you all / Dank u wel

Why not do both? They're not all that far from each other and, comparatively, Yorkshire Trench is only a pretty small area that can be seen in a few minutes. The good thing about them both also, is that they're both free to visit.

Dave.

Correct.

Boezinge (Yorkshire Trench) is only 18 km (11 miles) south from Diksmuide.

Take the road leading to Ieper. Do NOT go as far as Ieper, but on the 'ringroad' round Boezinge, at the bridge, turn left (signpost Langemark I guess). And after 400 m (1/4 mile) turn right so that you get on the east bank of the Canal. (Signpost Ieper)

And then after about 1/2 mile, at a large metal chimney on the left you'll see the (small) signposts Yorkshire Trench & Dug-out (= Bargiestraat)

Aurel

Charles,

Your question about eating out in Diksmuide has not been answered yet.

There are plenty of places. Try the Flemish stew ('stoofvlees/Vlaamse carbonade') at the Gouden Mandeken, next to the town hall, or on the opposite side of the market, a kind of corner pub 'De Mane'(Bistro Kip aan het Spit). They do a very nice chicken and a Flemish stew and they have amongst other beers, the unknown but greatly appreciated, Hapkin. It resembles 'Duvel'.

Near Yorkshire Trench there is 'De Vuurlinie' (The Firing-Line), a pub that comes very close to a Great War estaminet. Ask around for it or ask Aurel.

Enjoy your trip,

Fred

Near Yorkshire Trench there is 'De Vuurlinie' (The Firing-Line), a pub that comes very close to a Great War estaminet. Ask around for it or ask Aurel.

Is this the one on the main road between Yorkshire trench and Ypres. If so I got run out of there last year just as I put my foot through the door. Not very friendly or very discerning, take your pick.

Andy

I got run out of there last year

I bet you were wearing your "I'm a Yorkshireman" badge, again. I've told you it'll get you into trouble :ph34r:

Charles - I'm with Dave on this one. Do both. Different and interesting in their own ways. The Yser Tower is a must - I visited for the first time earlier this year. An absolutely fascinating insight into the Flemish perspective on the War and the distinct Flemish identity itself.

John

I bet you were wearing your "I'm a Yorkshireman" badge, again. I've told you it'll get you into trouble  :ph34r:

John

You should be careful about making comments like that, you never know, some third party may make a complaint :)

It was fathers day last year, me and a friend decided to pop in for an orange cordial on our way back from Yorkshire Trench and were shouted at by a woman behind the bar who seemed quite the worst for wear (it was only 3.p.m.). We made our excuses and left.

Andy

Many thanks again for all the advice, quite an interesting debate, I think a visit to Dixmude AND Yorkshire Trench is now on the cards provided I can swing it with the designated driver (I can't miss out on trying a new beer can I?)

Is this the one on the main road between Yorkshire trench and Ypres. If so I got run out of there last year just as I put my foot through the door. Not very friendly or very discerning, take your pick.

Andy

Andy,

I'm not quite sure I undersand what you mean by "the main road between YT and Ypres". On the east bank of the canal ? There is a sort of (wooden) pub indeed, I think of the rowing club. (No affinity at all with a Great War estaminet). And Zoë's Vuurlinie is 1 km north of YT, near Boezinge-bridge, certainly not on the road YT - Ypres.

But Zoë does have a harsh and hoarse voice, even when she is kind. Which she always is.

Aurel

Aurel

The bar I am talking about is on Oostkai about halfway between YT and Ypres, on the left hand side of the road (it couldn't be on the right or it would be a boat :huh: ). It sounds like it could be the rowing club that you spoke about even though most of the clientelle looked like they would have very great difficulty squeezing into a boat. :)

Andy

Right, the rowing (kajak) club, not Zoë's !

And maybe with all these kajak men there who did not really have the figures to be squeezed in a boat, maybe that was the reason that you were thrown out ? :lol:

Aurel

Right, the rowing (kajak) club, not Zoë's !

And maybe with all these kajak men there who did not really have the figures to be squeezed in a boat, maybe that was the reason that you were thrown out ?   :lol:

Aurel

Aurel, if the behavior of the Evilandymax! :angry: was anything like it was in Kentucky it was because he was after their women! I must say he met with some success here. :(

Paul,

So this was his lucky day ?

I mean : he was only thrown out, and not in the Yser Canal ?! B)

Aurel

I mean : he was only thrown out, and not in the Yser Canal ?!   B)

Aurel

The beer guts on display in the bar would suggest that the clientelle would have had great difficulty catching me, never mind throwing me in the canal. The barmaid was very frightening however. :blink:

Andy