Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

R.A.M.C.

Guest moira

I wonder if someone can advise me? I would like to find out more about where my husband's grandfather, his grandfather's brother and their first cousin all served when they were doctors in the Royal Army Medical Corps in W.W.1. (Information from the Army Lists and their entries in Medical Registers.)

I telephoned The Army Medical Services Museum, but they have nothing on temporary commissioned officers; they only have some details on regular commissioned officers. They suggested I try the Public Record Office at Kew. Can anyone tell me how I can go about that?

Their names were:

George FitzWilliam Forde, his brother John Reid Forde and their cousin William Garfield Forde.

George and his brother John were also doctors in the West African Medical Staff from 1911-1930, which may indicate that their service took place in West Africa. Has anone heard of this?

Please help if you can!

best wishes, Moira

I am presuming that you don't know of any specific RAMC units they were in?

There are Officers service records for the RAMC at the PRO/NA but I understand that unlike some other units, they are far from complete.

If you first check them all on the Medal Index Cards, used to issue their medals after WW1, that will give you a date they went overseas - and this may tie in with the embarkation of a a unit; which might be a useful clue if you find nothing else.

Guest Barry Chinchen

The Public Record Office have on microfilm about a third of the records of soldiers in the First World War. Two thirds were destroyed in the Second World War.

I believe higher ranks, and those receiving pensions, are in a separate series and are more complete.

These are arranged in alphabetical order, but are only indexed by the first and last entries on each film.

You have to visit the Public Record Office at Kew to see them.

I found my Grandfather's Records (He was in the RAMC Field Ambulance Service) without difficulty.

Information wasvery limited. I found his height, dates of promotion and names of units he served in, and his next of kin with the address which I already knew. Also his service number which I knew.

I hope this helps.

I cannot rememer the actual Reference number of the series of records (WO three hundred and something), but there are dozens of cabinets of films so they cannot be missed. The help desk is very good, but the whole public record office system takes some getting used to especially using the copying machines.

Best wishes,

Barry Chinchen e-mail barrychinchen@hotmail.com