Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Chemin des dames

Nick.Wotherspoon

Planning a stop-over on the Chemin des Dames this summer for a couple of days - on our family holiday- have visited the area before & are WFA members. We usually stay at the L'Ailette campsite by the lake - keeps the kids happy :) Can anyone advise on any areas to explore? We like to cycle in the forests & did so on the California Plateau last year & saw many dug out entrances, trench remains & WW1 detritus - all very interesting & duly photographed (Kids have long been trained not to touch!).

Are there any other wooded areas with such remians that are worth exploring this way in the area? or any out of the way sights, private museums etc - as we have seen most of the easily accessible ones - Malmaison, caverne du Dragon, Laffaux, confrecourt farm etc.

Please feel free to PM me if you don't want to advertise places - any tips appreciated

I can tell you there is a terrific fancy restaurant in the area but we need some help, named after a nearby WW1 involved hill so name is a # like 235. Big time place. I will email Neil Wells and get this.

paul,

is it hill 1O8? I believe so; could be 18O also.

It is when you leave the chemin des dames and drive direction reims, on the left side of the road? Also the tank monument is not far awaay?

pascal

Nick

There is a good walk starting from Aizy Jouy, which is marked by green and yellow signs. It takes in the villages of Filain, and Fargny- Filain and has good views across the Aizy valley. If you email me you address, I'll send you a map and detailed itinery.

Terry Reeves

paul,

is it hill 1O8?  I believe so; could be 18O also.

It is when you leave the chemin des dames and drive direction reims, on the left side of the road?  Also the tank monument is not far awaay?

pascal

Pascal you are right , Cote 108. Nearest village Barry au Bac where French launched 1st tank attack, well French one. South of village is Aisne and Aisne Canal.

Restaurant named for hill behind, French took it at great cost spring 1917 British lost it spring 18, maybe last stand of Liecesters.