Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Forum Hell's Angels Chapter

Tom Morgan

Hi Tom

As long as I can follow someone, never having driven on the Continenent I could be tempted to bring my Kawasaki along.

Would have to leave the Royal Enfield at home though, not that reliable and spares could be a problem.

Regards

John

I was thinking of doing it on a Royal Enfield John! Could be good if there were two of them - two of us would know what we were looking for when we had to turn back for a few miles looking for bits that have dropped off.

Tom

Hi Tom

As long as I can follow someone, never having driven on the Continenent I could be tempted to bring my Kawasaki along.

Would have to leave the Royal Enfield at home though, not that reliable and spares could be a problem.

Regards

John

What? What? An unrelaiable limeybike? :huh: And I once owned a 500cc one cylinder BSA! :lol:

What? What? An unrelaiable limeybike? :huh: And I once owned a 500cc one cylinder BSA! :lol:

[Off-Topic] First bike I ever rode was a big 1935 BSA single with hand-change. My uncle used to let me ride it round a field. Normally it would have been too heavy for me as I was only eight but it had a sidecar so it couldn't fall over. That's how I got bitten by the bug.[/Off=Topic]

Tom

Hi Tom

I thought it was the Bits Stuck Anywhere (BSA) that lost parts until I rode an Enfield Continental GT. Always seemed to loose 5th gear, not a good thing a few hundred miles from home.

I remember an old despatch riders bike I used to ride that certainly wouldn't have made the trip, I think it was an M20 but it seized on me at 60 mph, I suppose I should have expected it as I had been doing that speed for about 10 miles.

Good old British bikes, nothing like them!!

John

get the forum running up on the highway,

looking for memorials on their way,

steppenwolf eat your heart out!

enoch

• Admin

Certainly a compelling idea Tom. I have been over to the battlefileds many times on the late BMW and also the honda 400-4, but never on the Matchy. I'm sure that Les "Harley" Eviltaxman would be up for it.

whose got room for a pillion? pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Mandy

The thought of a female of the opposite sex actually wanting to ride on the pillion is very exciting, Mandy and a first for me. Unfortunately it would be a painful ride as the bike I'm thinking of going on hasn't even got a pillion, and the other one has got one, but it's bolted on to the rear mudguard and the bike has a rigid frame so there's no rear suspension apart from the tyre. :o

Tom

Tom,

no problem i have my own built in softness!!!!!!!

Mandy

lol

Let's not forget one of the first to do this though!

'I first went back to the Somme on a motor bike in 1935. I have been back twelve times since then and I intend to keep going as long as I can; I try to be there on 1 July. I go out and, at 7.30 a.m., I stand at the exact spot where we went over the top in 1916.'

Pvt H Bloor, Accrington Pals.

(Taken from The First Day on the Somme 1 July 1916 by Martin Middlebrook).

if you ever want to do it... i am ready to help + ride along

I had my cousin come to stay a few weeks back and he came with some bikers from the Middlesex club and Box Hill Club. I arranged a Motor Cycle Trip with one of the local Motor Bikers from Poperinge to take them on a bike tour. They had a really good day out and I am sure that Roger would very kindly do it again if I asked.

They are so friendly and willing to lend a helping hand out here and in their spare time too!

Let me know if you would like me to arrange anything for you.

LizM

When 2 worlds collide !

My significant other is one of that Middlesex Mob.

I prefer 4 wheels though, hoping to visit Ypres and around Armentiers in August.

Will have White House Cem and Barlin Communal Cem on my list as well as Hill 60 and High Wood if anyone needs any pics

Jane

When 2 worlds collide !

My significant other is one of that Middlesex Mob.

I prefer 4 wheels though, hoping to visit Ypres and around Armentiers in August.

Will have White House Cem and Barlin Communal Cem on my list as well as Hill 60 and High Wood if anyone needs any pics

Jane

It certainly is a small world out there. There is always someone who knows someone you know out there. Your other half probably knows the group that came to stay with me.

Have a good trip over in August.

LizM

Your not on your own with this one Tom. I met four bikers from the Channel Islands in Verdun in May. All were in their late fifties and early sixties and do a annual bike trip around battlefields various. Not that I'm making any comment about age of course.

Terry (Vrooom) Reeves

Your not on your own with this one Tom. I met four bikers from the Channel Islands in Verdun in May. All were in their late fifties and early sixties and do a annual bike trip around battlefields various. Not that I'm making any comment about age of course.

Terry (Vrooom) Reeves

No, no, Terry, that never occurred to me at all. Not for a second.

post-7-1121639777.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I'm considering a battlefields trip by bike, probably August / September, travelling from Brighton. Haven't ridden abroad before, and it'd be great to have folks to ride with at least part of the journey...

that was the gold star wasn't it ? my brother had one, i only had a bantam :(

still it went faster than our current bikes ( and the saddle was a damn sight more comfy)

41B395D.jpg

I'm considering a battlefields trip by bike, probably August / September, travelling from Brighton. Haven't ridden abroad before, and it'd be great to have folks to ride with at least part of the journey...

What bike would you be making the trip on, Birdsong?

Tom

This all smacks of Male MLC (Mid Life Crisis) but what the hell!

Can anyone lend me a bike? Mine ended up in an undignified pile of Jap Crap many moons ago, so I'd like to rekindle my youth with something hot and throbbing............................er! Sorry, just dreaming.

Where's the nearest bike shop from 'ere??????

PAUL J :D