Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte 6775 Patrick Lawrence, Munster Fusiliers.

Duncan

Hello,

Could anyone tell me the battalion of Private 6775 Patrick Lawrence, Royal Munster Fusiliers? I thought may be his service number would give it away?

Cheers,

Duncan.

Hello,

Could anyone tell me the battalion of Private 6775 Patrick Lawrence, Royal Munster Fusiliers?  I thought may be his service number would give it away?

Cheers,

Duncan.

Duncan:

By downloading Private Patrick Lawrence's Medal Card from the UK Public Records Office (PRO)website and using the Royal Munster Fusiliers Medal Role Page Index on the card to locate the page on the Medal Roll which relates to Private Lawrence, you would see the Royal Munster Fusiliers Battalion or Battalions in which he served. The Medal Rolls are located in the PRO also. You may find that he served in more than one battalion, as certain battalions, such as the 8th Service Battalion, was amalgamated with the 1st Battalion due to severe losses incurred by the 8th Battalion. If you cannot visit the PRO, you could ask someone to do the research for you as the Medal Rolls are not available by Internet.

It is possible that Private Lawrence's military records survived the burning of the records office during the blitz. If they do exist a microfiche copy would be available at the PRO.

Bob