Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Belgium Soldiers

chrislock

Went for a walk along the Boezinge canal the other day. Wandered into one of the antique warehouses and came across a Belgium soldiers kit locker. It is made of wood, approx 1.5 x m x 1 x m x 1 x m. It has a flat hinged top and is painted matt black on the outside. There is a shelf ridge inside in which the shelf is missing.

However, what is extremely interesting, is the soldiers details is stencilled across the inside of the lid. As follows:

ZONNEBEKE DEN 1914

WESTHOEK

MYLLE FELIX FRANCOIS GEBOREN TE ZONNEBEKE LE 12 NOVEMBRE IN T JAAR 1882

WESTFLANDRE

BELGIEQUE

A M G F H L

I have visited the Zonnebeke and Passendale war memorials and he is not listed. There is another Mylle on the Zonnebeke memorial, but not Francois. Also, what does the AMGFHL at the bottom mean? This group of letters is also found along the top lip of the trunk. Help please! Chris. :unsure:

what does make you be sure it is a soldiers trunk???

These types of trunks were used to travel.

It seems a bit strange that a soldier would bother putting his place and date of birth on the inside of his trunk. Wouldn't it be more likely that any significant ID (i.e.name, rank, number, unit) would be on the outside of the trunk?

Andy

At first sight, there is no Felix François Mylle in the base of data of the Belgian soldiers. Usually, the tombs of the Belgian soldiers indicate the place and the date of birth.

Pierre

i can't believe it is a soldiers trunk. Too big. In the best case an officer.

Several people have seen the trunk and now feel it is an officers travel or barrack locker. HOWEVER, all thoughts and ideas most welcome! Thanks.