Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Newark Cemetery, Notts.

Anthony Bagshaw

Hi All,

daft question but i am wanting to visit the Cemetery in Newark, Notts to visit the grave of a soldier.

CWGC does not give directions to it, and just wondered if anyone knew where it is exactly?

Has anyone ever been??

Thanks

Thanks Terry, you're a star!

Follow signpost for Polish War Cemetery. it is a little confusing otherwise. Its a long walk from the gate.

Roop

Agreed - head for the Polish cemetery. It's actually a bit of a way out of town.

The best access for the cemetery is from the A1 Newark southern access,drive towards the town centre on London Road.The cemetery is on the left nearly opposite the old hospital.There is ample parking within the cemetery gates.

If coming from the town centre,follow London Road out of town on a heading signposted Grantham A1 (South)ie the London Road.The cemetery is on the right not too far from the town centre.

However,at the moment the Newark A1 bypass is snarled up with traffic at peak times on the A1 travelling north due to Highway Agency roadworks just north of the A1 Newark northern access.Traffic queues travelling north can extend as far back on the Newark bypass as the southern access to Newark.ie London Road.

The Newark A46 bypass is heavily loaded at peak times and crawling, looks to be caused by traffic waiting to gain access from the town and the A46 onto the A1 via the northern access to travel north.

Its enough to put off any man from visiting cemeteries.

It is almost as bad as visiting Cologne South Cemetery.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your replies.

I've just got back and i am absolutely soaked!sun was out when i left home and ended up in the middle of a thunderstorm.

The Polish cemetery is very well kept and i am very impressed with it. I even managed to find the grave i was looking for, and without grave references, maps etc!

Emotional seeing so many different nationalities buried there also.

Anthony