Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

COSBY, LEICESTERSHIRE

bogarcher

Would it be possible for someone to do a search of SDGW for anyone born in Cosby, Leicestershire, who were killed in the Great War. ( if such a search can be done?)

Also is there such a thing as Officers Died In The Great War and could anybody do the same thing.

We are trying to produce a roll of honour for the village VE day celebration. The day will also be a tribute to all the men & women lost in all conflicts. The day will include a rededication of the local Memorial Park and a WW2 Vets march through the village.

Cosby War Memorial in the local churchyard just has 1914-1918 & 1939-1945 on it. The Village Roll of Honour was removed from the park to be repaired and has since been lost. The Parish council has no record of the names on the roll so we're a bit stuck.

I have a list from the CWGC but it relies on the info supplied by the NOK.

Having looked through SDGW Leics Regt I found 9 men who were born in Cosby but were not on the CWGC list.

Any help or ideas would be most welcome.

mick

Mick

There are 35 men listed as born in Cosby, they may be more who lived there but weren't born there. I am happy to list them for you but won't be able to do it until Saturday. Quite possibly someone will have done it for you by then but I'll check to make sure

Officers are trickier as they don't give place of birth/residence

I'll be in touch

Hambo

PS Do you need WW2 as well?

here we go 35 soldiers found are ayriss herbert ayriss edward bacon frederick bacon harry bailey albert bull james john cave joseph cave walter CHAMBERLAIN thomas frederick COPSON alfred CURTIS george DEXTER herbert william FURBOROUGH edwin FURBOROUGH victor albert FURBOROUGH horace HAINES herbert HEIGHTON richard HOLLICK william HOWKINSgeorge harry JONES joseph henry KENNY ernest KENNY james albert KENNY joseph LANGTON joshia NICHOLSON francis ORME joseph POUGHER john PRATT arthur PRATT james william SOUTHAM harry SPENCERjohn henry STARMER samuel leslie STRETTON herbert TIBBLES edgar WEST robert all these men were born in cosby these men next lived in cosby of which i found 7 BARWELL george edward BODICOAT george walter CHARLTON ernest HOLLAND alfred HOLLAND arthur SMITH oswin william if you want to know any more info like rank regiment date of death age please let me know

Mick

There are 35 men listed as born in Cosby, they may be more who lived there but weren't born there. I am happy to list them for you but won't be able to do it until Saturday. Quite possibly someone will have done it for you by then but I'll check to make sure

I'll be in touch

Hambo

Hambo

Anything you have will help WW1, WW2, Korea etc.

Cheers

Mick

here we go 35 soldiers found are ayriss herbert ayriss edward bacon frederick bacon harry bailey albert bull james john cave joseph cave walter CHAMBERLAIN thomas frederick COPSON alfred CURTIS george DEXTER herbert william FURBOROUGH edwin FURBOROUGH victor albert FURBOROUGH horace HAINES herbert HEIGHTON richard HOLLICK william HOWKINSgeorge harry JONES joseph henry KENNY ernest KENNY james albert KENNY joseph LANGTON joshia NICHOLSON francis ORME joseph POUGHER john PRATT arthur PRATT james william SOUTHAM harry SPENCERjohn henry STARMER samuel leslie STRETTON herbert TIBBLES edgar WEST robert all these men were born in cosby these men next lived in cosby of which i found 7  BARWELL george edward BODICOAT george walter CHARLTON ernest HOLLAND alfred HOLLAND arthur SMITH oswin william  if you want to know any more  info like rank regiment date of death  age please let me know

Thanks Stevemfc

I'll get back to you if I need anymore info.

Cheers

Mick

mick,

As you can see I have an interest closely allied to Cosby, namely Narborough and Littlethorpe. At the time Littlethorpe was part of Cosby parish, and remained so until the 1930s.

The Records Office at Wigston has a photograph of the Cosby Roll of Honour, which looks very much like the one in Littlethorpe Square prior to its replacement with the stone one in 2001. However, it won't help you with the names on it. I suggest that a good first point is the Absentee Voters Lists for Cosby which Wigston hold (reference CC/1/99/1-3 or CC/1/100/1-3 or something similar to that.) That will give you everyone living in Cosby parish (including my Littlethorpians) in 1918 who had an absentee vote, and includes information on their service number and unit. In addition, if you've got time baptism and marriage records from St Michaels (once again held by Wigston) often have info on the father/bridegroom being "a soldier" or specifically Pte, Leics Regt or something similar. There are a couple of chaps who married girls from Narborough/Littlethorpe in this category, but I haven't got my notes to hand.

In terms of "your" men who paid the ultimate price, I have an interest in Frank Nicholson, who worked in Narborough, Tom Chamberlain, who was a scout in Narborough troop, Herbert Dexter, who was the golf pro at Narborough Golf Club, Frederick Bacon, who lived in Littlethorpe with his aunt, and Ernest Charlton, who was born in Littlethorpe. Having looked at the records in the National Archives, the only one for whom records are available is Ernest Charlton, whose father farmed in Cosby. He had one brother who served - the wonderfully named Zadok.

Good luck with your search,

Dave

here we go 35 soldiers found are ayriss herbert ayriss edward bacon frederick bacon harry bailey albert bull james john cave joseph cave walter CHAMBERLAIN thomas frederick COPSON alfred CURTIS george DEXTER herbert william FURBOROUGH edwin FURBOROUGH victor albert FURBOROUGH horace HAINES herbert HEIGHTON richard HOLLICK william HOWKINSgeorge harry JONES joseph henry KENNY ernest KENNY james albert KENNY joseph LANGTON joshia NICHOLSON francis ORME joseph POUGHER john PRATT arthur PRATT james william SOUTHAM harry SPENCERjohn henry STARMER samuel leslie STRETTON herbert TIBBLES edgar WEST robert all these men were born in cosby these men next lived in cosby of which i found 7  BARWELL george edward BODICOAT george walter CHARLTON ernest HOLLAND alfred HOLLAND arthur SMITH oswin william  if you want to know any more  info like rank regiment date of death  age please let me know

Stevemfc

Could you let me have the details on the following.

Ayriss Edward

Heighton Richard

Hollick William

Langton Joshia

Nicholson Francis

Pratt James William

Spencer John Henry

Barwell George Edward

Bodicoat George Walter

Holland Alfred

Holland Arthur

Cheers

Mick

mick,

As you can see I have an interest closely allied to Cosby, namely Narborough and Littlethorpe.  At the time Littlethorpe was part of Cosby parish, and remained so until the 1930s.

The Records Office at Wigston has a photograph of the Cosby Roll of Honour, which looks very much like the one in Littlethorpe Square prior to its replacement with the stone one in 2001.  However, it won't help you with the names on it.  I suggest that a good first point is the Absentee Voters Lists for Cosby which Wigston hold (reference CC/1/99/1-3 or CC/1/100/1-3 or something similar to that.)  That will give you everyone living in Cosby parish (including my Littlethorpians) in 1918 who had an absentee vote, and includes information on their service number and unit.  In addition, if you've got time baptism and marriage records from St Michaels (once again held by Wigston) often have info on the father/bridegroom being "a soldier" or specifically Pte, Leics Regt or something similar.  There are a couple of chaps who married girls from Narborough/Littlethorpe in this category, but I haven't got my notes to hand.

In terms of "your" men who paid the ultimate price, I have an interest in Frank Nicholson, who worked in Narborough, Tom Chamberlain, who was a scout in Narborough troop, Herbert Dexter, who was the golf pro at Narborough Golf Club, Frederick Bacon, who lived in Littlethorpe with his aunt, and Ernest Charlton, who was born in Littlethorpe.  Having looked at the records in the National Archives, the only one for whom records are available is Ernest Charlton, whose father farmed in Cosby.  He had one brother who served - the wonderfully named Zadok.

Good luck with your search,

Dave

Dave

Thanks for the info.

Im off to the records office tomorrow.

Can you get copies of photographs?

If I stumble over anything on your chaps, Ill let you know.

cheers

Mick

ok mick hope this is what you need AYRISS leonardl/cpl 10895 6th leicester reg d.o.w.3/10/17 aged21 HEIGHTON richard pte 42017 3rd worcester reg k.i.a.26/4/18 aged25 HOLLICK william pte 52852 east yorks reg 7th d.o.w.18/10/18 aged 30 LANGTON joshia pte p.w.817 26th middlesex reg died 26/8/17 aged 0 NICHOLSON francis gdsn 27250grenadier guards k.i.a.1/12/17 aged0 PRATT james william gnr 94825 royal garrison artillery k.i.a.29/5/17 aged 29 SPENCERjohn henry pte 19375 sth lancs reg 6th k.i.a.5/4/16 aged 18 BARWELL george edward pte 25613 9th leicester reg k.i.a.13/5/17 aged 20 born hullesthorpe leics BODICOAT george walter pte 21108 6th leicester reg k.i.a.3/5/17 aged0 born whetstone HOLLAND alfred pte21088 7th leicester reg k.i.a.14/7/16aged 18 born stoney stanton leices HOLLAND arthur pte 21057 2nd leicester reg d.o.w.6/4/16 aged 21 brother of the above hope this helps need any more info let me know ok

Mick,

Sadly no photographs of any of them. The Mercury, the Evening Post and the other local rags are good into 1917, but then casualty fatigue seems to set in. The papers tended to publish pictures up till then, but it did depend on the family sending one in.

Dave

Mick,

Sadly no photographs of any of them.  The Mercury, the Evening Post and the other local rags are good into 1917, but then casualty fatigue seems to set in.  The papers tended to publish pictures up till then, but it did depend on the family sending one in.

Dave

Dave

I got a copy of the Roll Of Honour photo. It was in Main Street C1930. We thought it was in Victory Park. I am told it went missing in 1949.

Do the Records office hold copies of the local rags?

The absent Voters list was a gem

Cheers

Mick

Mick

I'll be in touch

Hambo

Hambo

Sorry to be a bit pushy but have you got any WW2 info for Cosby?

Cheers

Mick

Mick,

The Records Office hold microfilm of a number of papers, including the Mercury. However, it will take you longer than a couple of weekends to get through them. I have done it for Narborough & Littlethorpe, but it has taken me a couple of years.

I don't own a copy, but a book published last year, called "Wigston at War" by Pamela Ward has details of one Cosby casualty - Alec Richardson (Leics Regt), who lived in the village. There are a couple of photographs of him. (Blaby Library has a copy in the Local Studies section.).

When and where are you putting the fruits of your efforts on display?

Dave

Mick,

The Records Office hold microfilm of a number of papers, including the Mercury.  However, it will take you longer than a couple of weekends to get through them.  I have done it for Narborough & Littlethorpe, but it has taken me a couple of years.

I don't own a copy, but a book published last year, called "Wigston at War" by Pamela Ward has details of one Cosby casualty - Alec Richardson (Leics Regt), who lived in the village. There are a couple of photographs of him. (Blaby Library has a copy in the Local Studies section.).

When and where are you putting the fruits of your efforts on display?

Dave

Dave

A workmate is organising the Cosby VE day celebration on August 13th. It is hoped that a list of the men from the village who were killed in the service of their country will be included in the programme of the days events. The ultimate aim is to get a Roll Of Honour reinstated somewhere in the village.

If your free why not pop over to Cosby on the day. There will be a Vets parade from the church to Victory Park, with Pipe band, company of Gurkhas, RBL standards and more. Should be a day to remember.

Mick