Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Army Medical Corps

draperju

I would be grateful for information or clarification on the above unit.

Specifically I am researching Private C. J .D. Waddilove who died 3rd May 1917

and is buried at Tilloy British Cemetery

Best wishes

Draperju

Hello Draperju,

2/3rd London Field Ambulance was formed as 2nd Line unit of the 3rd London Field Ambulance, and was initially part of the 2/1st London Division. This division later became the 58th Division.

The Field Ambulance left the division in February 1916, and joined the 1st Line division in France when the latter was reconstituted. This, of course, was the 56th (1st London) Division. The Field Ambulance served with the division for the remainder of the war.

At the date you give, the division was involved in the Third Battle of the Scarpe.

I hope you find this of use.

Cheers,

Wienand

I have a copy of the (rare?) history of the 2/3rd London FA by Arthur Atkinson, pub c. 1969. Unfortunately, it is not the sort of book that has an index, however, there is a mention of the death of Private C. J .D. Waddilove (or C I D Waddilove as the book has it. The extract is taken from a War Diary compiled by Pte. Alec Ellis, C Section, 2/3rd London FA:

May 2nd - Left Arras Racecourse for Tilloy for the 2nd Battle of Arras 1917. Tilloy once the headquarters of Crown Prince Rupert of Bavaria.

May 3rd - A day of terrific and continuous shelling. The unit's heaviest losses today, the most important being that of Pte C I D Waddilove (son of Admiral), the most perfect gentleman and the bravest man in the British Army.

I will try to look through the book to see if there are any other references to Waddilove. If there is anything else you need let me know.

Hello Draperju,

2/3rd London Field Ambulance was formed as 2nd Line unit of the 3rd London Field Ambulance, and was initially part of the 2/1st London Division. This division later became the 58th Division.

The Field Ambulance left the division in February 1916, and joined the 1st Line division in France when the latter was reconstituted. This, of course, was the 56th (1st London) Division. The Field Ambulance served with the division for the remainder of the war.

At the date you give, the division was involved in the Third Battle of the Scarpe.

I hope you find this of use.

Cheers,

Wienand

Thank you for this most helpful information

Best wishes

Draperju

I have a copy of the (rare?) history of the 2/3rd London FA by Arthur Atkinson, pub c. 1969.  Unfortunately, it is not the sort of book that has an index, however, there is a mention of the death of Private C. J .D. Waddilove (or C I D Waddilove as the book has it.  The extract is taken from a War Diary compiled by Pte. Alec Ellis, C Section, 2/3rd London FA:

May 2nd - Left Arras Racecourse for Tilloy for the 2nd Battle of Arras 1917.  Tilloy once the headquarters of Crown Prince Rupert of Bavaria.

May 3rd - A day of terrific and continuous shelling.  The unit's heaviest losses today, the most important being that of Pte C I D Waddilove (son of Admiral), the most perfect gentleman and the bravest man in the British Army.

I will try to look through the book to see if there are any other references to Waddilove.  If there is anything else you need let me know.

Thank you for this great piece of information

Best wishes

Draperju