Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Portsmouth defences

Chris_Baker

Papers of a chap I am researching say he was at "Long --- Battery, part of the inner defences".

Can't read the "----". He was in billets in or near Portsmouth at the time. Any ideas?

Probably Long Curtain Battery in Old Portsmouth/Southsea.

I believe this to be the wall and gun ports (Henritian era?) lying between Old Portsmouth and Southsea Castle, looking out across the mouth of Portsmouth Harbour

Surprised if it was used at all during WW1.

Richard

PS: It would have been the 'inner defences' because the Solent Forts were manned during both world wars (believe primarily as AA batteries - possibly also quick-firing anti-torpedo boat guns in WW1, but would have to check).

In an episode of "Rumpole of the Bailey" (remember?), a couple of sailors had mugged a civilian. Their story was that he had made homosexual advances towards them and they were just teaching him a lesson. Rumpole smiled and said "Ah yes, the old Portsmouth defence"! Not quite the Portsmouth defence or type of battery you had in mind! :(

Phil B

PS: It would have been the 'inner defences' because the Solent Forts were manned during both world wars (believe primarily as AA batteries - possibly also quick-firing anti-torpedo boat guns in WW1, but would have to check).

If my memory serves me correct, Long Curtain runs behind Clarance pier and west towards the old garrison church at the square tower in old Portsmouth' it has a Sallyport in the middle which connects the sea wall there is a large moat also.

The whole area is part of the Palmerston Defences to keep out old Bony but was also used during both the war as AA defence to protect the naval dockyards.