Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

weapons of the tranch war

The Plummed Goose

Dear Friends,

As the topic tittle says ...

I am looking for this book : "Weapons of the trench war" Anthony Saunders.

Is there anybody who could direct me where to find it (or watch out for it)

This one is probably out of print and if not available I would appreciate advice on possible other books dealing with weapons used during the 1st WW. Is there another title ??

Thanks in advance

eric

Eric,

You are probably right about it being out of print as I got my copy in a "remainders" sale.

There are none on there at the moment, but ABE books (www.abebooks.com) are usually worth a look. Mind you, I don't know about postage to Turkey.

Adrian

(Edit: Couldn't even spell "ABE" right!)

Nothing on Abebooks either although their is a copy of his sequel:

DOMINATING THE ENEMY: War in the Trenches 1914-1918

The write up for this might be of interest:

In this sequel to "Weapons of the Trench War", the author presents a further selection of British weapons and equipment designed specifically for use in the bitterly contested war in the trenches along the Western Front. These include body armour (which assumed an importance not seen since the 17th century), helmets (with a design reminiscent of the Middle Ages and which became standard issue in 1916), sniperscopes (remotely fired rifles), periscopes, wire-cutters (attached to rifles), muzzle and breach covers, close-fighting weapons (including stilettos, knuckle-dusters, clubs and coshes), automatic rifles and sub-machine guns, and a selection of weird and not-so-wonderful devices that increased the infantryman's chances of survival in the trenches. The text includes a selection of archive photographs and line drawings to complement the narrative.

Eric - if your thoughts are more based on Gallipoli then I would guess this sequel is more concerned with post 1915 developments after the war on the WF became more sophisticated for want of a better expression.

Jon

Both essential book for the Great War collectors but the subject matter is quite different. As Jon has pointed out the second volume covers unusual helmets, sniper shields, trench clubs, periscopes etc.

The first volume covers mainly grenades, mortars, Liverns Projectors and other more minor items of ordinance.

And both are two of my most widely used reference works - truly superb books.

Anyway, here is a copy but they seem to have mixed up the description and are using that for the second book!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...=glance&s=books

Here is the correct contents page for the first volume:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0750925051...002#reader-link

Thank you all ...

Sorry but I didn't even consider looking at Amazon.com ...

thanks again

eric

Jonathan ... September is approaching ... see you than !!!

Thank you all ...

Sorry but I didn't even consider looking at Amazon.com ...

thanks again

eric

Jonathan ... September is approaching ... see you than !!!

Yep ... Lone Pine at midnight! Only joking