Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Huge Dugouts & Tunnels! (YPRES)

chrislock

Went for a walk the other night, too hot and sticky in my house. The ramparts were lit up with flame torches and such. Found myself following a huge throng of people, they were taking part in a fully booked spectacle called " NOCTURNE". mostly locals. Got chatting with one of the officials and explained my interest! Follow me he said! Well! I couldnt believe it! Not 100 yards, outside of the town walls, is a huge tunnel/gallery complex! I walk the area most nights and have never seen or heard of this place before! HE SAID WHOLE BATTALIONS WERE MOVED/LOCATED HERE! They believe they are old medieval workings, refurbished in WW1. Much wriggly iron/concrete in evidence!

Interesting. Is this open for visitors or only opened for the occasion ? I would be interested in going there on my next visit.

Patrick

Chris,

Is it outside the ramparts ?

Didn't know about them.

Or did you mean these constructions beneath the ramparts, somewhere at the end of the St. Jacobstraat (or is it the end of the D'Hondtstraat + Bukkerstraat, I'm not sure, approx. 100 m from the Lille Gate)

Anyway I was in there 3 weeks ago, with an official town guide (Sunday walks 'Themawandelingen' in summer.). Huge and vast construction of a few centuries ago (time of Vauban ? end of 17th century ?).

But as you write "outside the town walls", (and 'mine' are beneath or within the ramparts) maybe we are not talking about the same thing. Anyway, the onces I am talking about indeed gave shelter to large numbers of British soldiers, and as the construction is pretty solid, they were safe there.

By the way, were there dozens of 'shrapnel pots' near the entrance ? If so, then we are talking about the same.

Aurel

Hi Aurel. They are about 100 metres outside of the ramparts. Go over the footbridge across the Kasteelgracht. Cross the road and follow the nature trail and the field is on the left. The tunnel complex is huge. I recognised several locals in the group. Hedwig Creupelandt of Partners in Vastgoed was there. Give him a ring and he will explain all. They said the walks are throughout the summer and are all fully booked. 30-40 in each group.

Thanks, Chris.

So we were talking about different places indeed.

I know where you mean, but I was not aware that ...

Aurel