Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bedfordshire Regiment

carninyj

I turned on the TV this morning and BBC NI were showing scenes from the 12th July parades in Belfast. One banner appeared and the commentator said that the lodge had been formed by ex-Bedfordshire Regiment men after WW1. It struck me as rather odd and I have wondered all day about why Ulster should have this connection. Does anyone know if the Bedfords recruited in Ulster during the war? If they did, why? Were some men moved to the Bedfords for some reason - replacements, amalgamation, etc?

Regards

Carninyj

I believe members of the Luton Red Cross Brass Band enlisted into the RAMC, and were posted to the 36th Division. Perhaps this is the basis for the commentator's remark.

Verbal account states .. I don't know how accurately .. that:-

Londoners attached to 36th as artillery learned Orange songs from the Ulstermen and were often heard singing various ditties with full gusto.

Bedford/London??? Maybe.

Des

Thanks for your thoughts.

Do you have any contacts through your newspaper that could give us more details?

Regards

Carninyj

Did David McClarty do the commentary? If so, I'll ask him where he got his story from.

Sorry Des, I couldn't tell you. I'm not a TV person and only viewed it in a very casual way while I was doing other things!

Regards

Carninyj

If I can jump in here - I think the commentary was by Clifford Smyth (accompanied by Walter Love).

You don't have to be an Ulsterman to be an Orangeman.

Both Bedford and Luton have their own Orange Lodges and have done for many years. It does have strong links with Co.Monaghan as many Protestants settled there after Irish independence.

The Bedfordshire Regiment itself had strong links with William III - "1688" was displayed in large letters above the Depot gate at Kempston for many years. The Regiment marched on to parade to Lilliburlero for the same reason.

It is a small world - a friend of our family had been a member of the Luton Red Cross Band, and played on the radio with them in the very early days of broadcasting.

I believe the last London 36th Div Gunner died in the mid-eighties.

I thank both of you very much for the information.

Swizz, it was Clifford Smyth. I remember now that you say!

Tintin1869, your information on the Orange Institution and Bedfordshire is news to me. I've never heard of the connections with Co Monaghan or William III before.

Regards

Carninyj