Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Wakefield Camp, near Arras

Guest webbhead

Guest webbhead

Does anyone know the precise location of Wakefield Camp, somewhere in the vicinity of Arras? The Royal Montreal Regiment was there in April 1918 and it seems to have been quite active in 1917-18 among British and Canadian battalions. Sources I've found place it tentatively at Roclincourt, but they are vague. Any other tidbits about the camp, its uses or significance, would be helpful.

Thanks in advance...

1RM JULY 1917

1st Bn. training carried on during first two days, suspended today. Bn. attended Divine Service in recreation hut near BRAY ; service conducted by Chaplain to 2nd RMLI. Lt. Col. H. OZANNE DSO commanding 1st RMLI attended conference at 188th Inf. Bde. HQ.

2nd Bn. training from 8am to 10am. Bn. moved from BRAY to ROCLINCOURT, leaving BRAY at 1.30pm, marching via MAROEUIL & overland track thence to ROCLINCOURT & arriving at ROCLINCOURT at 5pm. Bn. in huts in WAKEFIELD CAMP in B.28.c W. of ROCLINCOURT.

Guest simon weller
isn't the B.28.c W a map reference?

I have only been a member for a week or so and this is a chance to write my first message. Wakefield Camp at Roclincourt, yes B28c is a map reference but Wakefield Camp was at A28c was't it?

Glad to help

Simon

Guest simon weller
If this was indeed immediately west of Roclincourt, then it must be about

this location.  I have taken this from the barrage map from here .

Yep that was the square that I was thinking of, bottom left sub square of 28. The road on the left of that section of the map is the main road from Arras to Lens so if you are driving south on that road and you stop on the hard shoulder near the Rocklincourt turnoff the site of the camp is on the westurn side of the main road. You should get a good view of it before the first truck HITS you if you are quick.

simon