Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

One for Boreenatra

Patrick H

Steve,

Could I trouble you, next time you are passing through Upminster for a photo of the War Memorial outside St Lawrence's Church. ( I can't post photos yet !!) It is a good example of a well maintained memorial with red geraniums and blue lobelia display and with all the wreaths laid in November still perfectly intact- amazing for a busy high street ?

Regards

Patrick

Will do mate. Actually we were in Stock/ Margaretting/Ingatestone today checking out some things.Here's a drawing of the Memorial ( not mine I hasten to add) published in 1920. It was designed by Sir Charles Nicholson, and was to be made from Clipsham stone Regards Steve.

Steve,

It is a good example of a well maintained memorial with red geraniums and blue lobelia display and with all the wreaths laid in November still perfectly intact- amazing for a busy high street ?

Regards

Patrick

The number of times I have had to post what an idiot I am !

The wreaths are still intact because they were only laid there on Sunday for the VE?VJ remembrance parade by the British Legion led by the band of 1st Cranham BB/GB, not since November. However, I'm sure other members would be interested in seeing a well maintained memorial.

Did you get to Fryerning churchyard ? There is a triple grave of 3 young lads who drowned at Camp in 1908 on the Isle of Wight from my BB Company. 97 years later we still adopt very stringent safegaurds when the Boys and girls go swimming!!

Patrick

Patrick

Patrick. Oddly enough I was going to ask you about the B.B. Memorial at Freyerning yesterday, but for some reason I didn't. Perhaps I was too involved in my Conybeare quest. I don't know if you saw the thread but it's one of those nagging things you must get an answer to.I dont know if you have this pic of the B.B. stone but here it is anyway. Regards Steve.

Patrick. Did you spot yesterdays deliberate mistake. That was St.Andrews Memorial. Upminster will try and do tomorrow. Regards Steve.

Steve, thanks for the pic of the Fryerning gravestone. Looks in terrible state. I will have to do something about that. I have the full story of what happened to the 3 boys, quite moving but a long time ago. I dare say these 3 would have been involved in the war only 7 years later!

Patrick

Patrick. Sad story indeed. Is the info on the stones right? To be honest, I scanned the pic when I got home and saw L/Cpl Harold George Hammond aged 15. Even I'm sure they weren't recruited that young for the army, which I assumed it was.When I managed to work out what it was with the ref to Warley Co. I realised what it was. Albert Edward Goodey aged 11 and William Alfred Sturgeon aged 12., 8th August 1907.There is a top part of the stone but I didn.t get it all in.Here's the actual pic I took. Regards Steve.

And just to show you can have two memorials about a mile and a half away from each other here's St. Andrews today. Also I don't know if you've used Kelly's Directory for your Warley men, but if you haven't there may be a great deal of stuff here that may help you.

http://www.historicaldirectories.org

Just click on Find by Location, and select Essex from the drop down list, and click find directories ( I haven't checked the others yet but I have used a couple of them before) Select Kelly 1914 and click Browse Directory. In the go to image box and type in 711 ( thats one of the Warley pages.) Hope it helps.If you've already got it, hope it helps someone else!!!

Regards Steve.

Steve,

many thanks for those. Interesting to see 2 well maintained memorials so close to each other. They have both been restored in recent years with new plaques of names. Is this a LBH thing ?

The 3 boys at Fryerning have BB ranks not army. They were at Summer Camp at Sandown Isle of Wight and got into trouble in the sea. Nobody had warned of the currents there. One officer from Reading also drowned, and the Company Captain F C Carey Longmore nearly drowned in the rescue attempt. We still have the very moving account of the incident, the inquest, return home and the burial services.

Also their pictures and a bronze memorial plaque.

Having said that we (the BB) should do something about cleaning the stone, I suppose I should first of all find out if there is any surviving family ! Not sure how I can do this.

Many thanks

Patrick

John. I hoped you would join in this one as its on your patch. I have been searching for the grave of Sgt. F.C.Woods at Freyerning.On the top level by the church itself (to the left ) there are several stones to a Woods family but cannot find him. CWGC gives a ref of A52 but I dont know if the A's are up there, as they seem to be also down the slope to the main burials area. Ever seen this one? Any info (or pic) appreciated. Also any local knowledge about Florence Annie Conybeare would be welcome. Regards Steve.

Steve, thats the man! He is remembered on the stone but is buried I believe in Reading.

John, when you say there are a few in Fryerning, do you mean BB memorials or general

Patrick

Knew I got him.. hes in Fryerning but dont ask me where took a long time to get him :)

John

FC WOODS not in CWGC headstone

post-409-1121726592.jpg

Florence Annie Conybeare

Connection?

I am in contact with a member of the Ingatestone Historical Society

John

John. Many thanks for Sgt Woods. Perhaps he's not where he should have been!!! If you check out the Women in the War section we had a thread last week about Florence.In fact there are several Conybeare graves and memorials at Freyerning, mostly just as you go down the slope on the left at the top near the Church. By the way nice website and a nice memorial at Stock. Any info on Flo and the gang much appreciated. Regards Steve.