Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Flying Corps

My Uncle who was in the RFC served in France, Egypt and was also at Gallipoli. Would he have been in the RFC at this time as I have never seen mention of the RFC being at Gallipoli. Anyone know ??

John

My Uncle who was in the RFC  served in France, Egypt and was also at Gallipoli.  Would he have been in the RFC at this time as I have never seen mention of the RFC being at Gallipoli.  Anyone know ??

John

John,

I've always thought that Gallipoli was an exclusively RNAS show.

Paul

John

As Paul says, the Dardanelles area was the province of the RNAS, and it remained so until the creation of the RAF.

Regards

Gareth

İs this an option ????

Do you know WHEN he supposedly served in Gallipoli/The Dardanelles ??

Could he have been part of the postwar occupation force ??

eric

Hi Eric, No I would not think so. it would have been during the war. he had the three normal medals. I remember seeing photographs of him and others taken by the pyrimids in Egypt. Also some Turkish rifle bullets which had arabic writing around the base. I remember my father (his younger brother) who was wounded on the Somme in 1918 telling me that "your Uncle Tom was at Gallopili". That would never had been said unless it were true.

Could he have transferred to the RFC from a more traditional army regiment? Do you have his RFC service number? As has already been said, he would not have served at Gallipoli in the RFC although possibly this is a family exageration and he never got past Egypt. I spent years believing my Grandfather was in the Chatham Bttn RND - thanks to my Auntie June - when he was a sea-going Royal Marine.

Both the RNAS and RFC served in Mesopotamia, against the Turks. There were times when the RNAS operated under army or RFC direction, but I’ve not heard of a transfer from RNAS to RFC. The RFC Drew in men from infantry and technical units, a trio should have his original unit on the star and RAF on the pair.

Do you still have the details on the medals? If you are lucky details of all the theatres in which he served will be in his record of service in AIR 79 at Kew. See here for an explanation of the RAF records of service.

but I’ve not heard of a transfer from RNAS to RFC.

I know of one bloke that transferred from the RNAS to the RFC, an Australian by the name of Sydney Cragg. Cragg wasn't a pilot with the RNAS he was an Engineering Officer, but transferred and gained his wings with the RFC.

Andrew.

Thanks Andrew, I love how this forum extends one's knowledge.