Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sgt Harry Bayliss Royal Field Artillery MM

Stewart1966

I was asked about 10 years ago ago by a friend to try and investigate any details regarding the award of the Military Medal and a Mention in Despatches to her deceased husband's grandfather, Sgt Harry Bayliss Royal Field Artillery.

At the time I could not find any information without having to travel down to Kew but I have just come across an old letter I sent to the Imperial War Museum at the time which has prompted me to try again.

As this forum houses a wealth of experience and knowledge I was wondering if anyone could shed any further light on this gentleman and his awards.

I do not know the army number nor the dates of the awards and have searched the on line version of the London Gazette but to no avail. Any help would be very gratefully received.

This fellow is the only Harry Bayliss from the RFA who has both Service Medals and a MM or DCM.

Service MIC:

http://www.documentsonline.nationalarchive...&resultcount=71

MM MIC:

http://www.documentsonline.nationalarchive...&resultcount=71

He was also a Sergeant. The MIC for the MM should state the issue of the Gazette. The search is putting up a fight against me right now. Give us a while to find it and if not then you can download the MIC.

There are 3 other Harry's or Harolds but these didn't rise above the rank of Gunner.

I'm not a betting man, but this looks like a good bet.

Steve.

AHA!

London Gazette 14-5-1919

His Majesty the KING has been graciously pleased to approve of the award of a Military Medal for bravery in the Field to the undermentioned

Warrant Officers, Non-Commissioned Officers .and Men: —

ROYAL FIELD ARTILLERY,

20456 Sjt. Bayliss, H., 85th By., 11th Army Bde. (Stafford).

Now, was our man from Stafford?

Unfortunately the date of Gazette doesn't gives us much of a clue apart from the fact that it was late in the War.

Steve.

Stebie/Sparky

Many thanks for the info. Stafford sounds about right - it's only 17 miles from me and I think his family did come from there.

Thanks a lot. Very much appreciated!!!!!

Stewart