Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

11th Suffolks - 21st February 1918

Stebie9173

Can anyone tell me if anything was happening to the 11th Suffolks on 21st February 1918. I believe they were in trenches at Croiselles near Arras.

My great-uncle Percy Brooksbank received his 2nd and last "Blighty" wound there.

(Just days after he had arrived back in France - and just 19 days after he got married while recuperating from his 1st wound from 9-10-1917. Something tells me his mind may not have been concentrating on the job)

He suffered a GSW rght arm - shrapnel/bullet etc.

Thanks for any info anyone can provide.

Steve.

Can anyone tell me if anything was happening to the 11th Suffolks on 21st February 1918. I believe they were in trenches at Croiselles near Arras.

According to the regimental history, they were in GHQ Reserve in the Le Cauroy area.

Dave.

Thanks for checking, Dave.

I appear to have misread something from his Service Record. It did seem strange that his wounding has reported in the Peterborough Advertiser on 8-6-1918 and it was normally pretty quick at reporting wounds.

The Croiselles reference came from here:

http://www.curme.co.uk/101.htm#Chronology - Cambs Suffolks

I know it's not that scientific but can you check the 21-3-1918 for me please. He was evacuated to England on the 25-3-1918 (2 references) and had an operation in England on 23-4-1918.

I should have really tried logic and sense over out of context interpretation of the Service Records dates.

That still doesn't put it very close to the report date but newspaper reports are never great "evidence" anyway.

Thanks again,

Steve.

Quite a lot of (understandable - it's only an abridged chronology!) gaps in that account, Steve. The Croisilles reference is pretty much a generalisation and the "beginning of 1918" ends on February 9th.

On 21st March, they were in trenches just north of the Sensee River (arrived there 20th March). In the front line trenches, "A Coy" was on the right and "C Coy." on the left. "B" and "D" coys. were in support.

From 5am, they were subjected to a bombardment and gassed, with heavy minenwerfer being used on the battalion.This caused few casualties. The Germans broke through in the lines to the left of the Bn. but were driven back by 7am. At 3pm another half hour "whirlwind" bombardment ensued and another German attack advanced northwards across "C Coy.'s" front. C and B Coy fire took heavy toll of the germans.

Before sunset, C Coy's line that had been temporarily broken had been re-set. Due to news from elsewhere, Orders were recieved to retire and the withdrawal began at 8.30pm.

Dave.

On 21st March, they were in trenches just north of the Sensee River (arrived there 20th March).

....near Fontaine lez Croisilles.

For a trenchmap showing the British and German Trenches in this immediate area at this time (29th January to be exact), click HERE and click on the Cherisy/Fontaine (jan 1918) map.

Dave.

That certainly seems more likely than at GHQ Reserve.

Next time I make it to Kew I shall have to recheck the film and double check.

I haven't really got too far on in depth study into Percy's war, andI was just drawing some clues together from the net. I shall look up the War Diary and History when I can.

Thanks for your time,

Steve.

his 1st wound from 9-10-1917.

Steve.

I don't know if you're interested in their location around the date of his first wounding , but (seeing as the website you mention gives the impression they were fighting in the Langemark/Poelcapelle area) I'll let you know ... They had concentrated around the Proven area and were engaged in repairing roads in the forward area ,close to the front line. This task was carried out in broad daylight and 3 days work cost the battalion 50 casualties.

Dave.

I had picked up on what the 11th Suffolks were doing on the 9th October 1917 (almost word for word what you have posted):

"The 11th battalion were involved in road repairs in and around Proven in early October 1917. This severe and unpleasant task, carried out in daylight and vile weather, under constant shell and machine gun fire, cost the battalion over 50 casualties...."

I feel such a berk for missing the 21st March possibility. Almost as bad as asking "Did anything much go on on 1st July 1916?" :rolleyes:

I just read the date on the Service Records (badly it seems), recorded it and came back later and put things together. I should have questioned the gap between being injured and being evacuated.

I'll be hiding under this small rock if anyone needs me, :blink:

(Reading Martin Middlebrook's Kaiser's Battle by torchlight)

Steve.