Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What has happened since?

roel22

In june 2001 the remains of 20 Lincolns (10th batt.) were found in a mass-grave near Arras. Does anybody have an idea if there have been any further developments (identifications?)

regards

Roel

No identification was possible Roel, and the soldiers were buried at Pont du Jour Military Cemetery in 2002, if I remember correctly.

Tom

As Tom mentioned Roel, the bodies were interred at the Point du Jour Cemetery.

Seems rather sad, as i seem to remember, some of the bodies discovered had particular deformities of the skull, possibly due to a genetic disorder, maybe, and i say maybe, members of the same family? Its a pity that this avenue could not have been explored further. Money and funding no doubt.

Regards, Chris.

Thank you both for the info. Sorry to hear no identifications could me made. The picture I saw gave hope at least a few of the pals could be indentified. Perhaps a little more effort?

Like you say, Chris, money and funding.

regards

Roel

What Tom says is correct but quite a few people from Grimsby still went over to the funerals,

Steve.

Can anyone point me in the direction of the excavtion report/post excavation analysis that came from this? Where was it published?

Simon,

An interesting article from Paul Reed's website:

Here

Steve.

Steve.

There was a programme by BBC Look North i think, that covered the discovery in more detail, including the deformities issue. Also, some interviews with relatives that believed these bodies found were members of the 10th Battalion. Be interested to hear your views on this Simon if you happened to see it?

Regards, Chris.

Simon

It may be worth contacting Capt Lee, the Regimental Archivist. He is, or least used to be, contactable via the Museum of Lincolnshire Life on Burton Road in Lincoln. I know he had some involvement at the time, so may be able to point you in the right direction

Chris

I'll try all of the above, thanks for your help.

Chris, I didn't see the Look North prog., I don't know if the particular skull deformity mentioned is actually within normal limits or not, whether there's any genetic basis for it at all, or whether everybody from Grimsby has a pointed head. What do you compare them to? Do we need another sample of early C20th young mens skulls from Grimsby area to act as a control?

I do feel that we're so often left flailing in the dark after the media frenzy has retreated as far as WWI human remains are concerned, those reports should be common currency with all of us really.

Pals,

There was a very good documentary shown on BBC 2 not so long after the discovery. Can't for the life of me remember what the program was called now, as I'm abroad, but well worth a watch. I seem to recall that despite all the circumstantial evidence pointing to the Lincolns there was only one or two cap badges that provided any Regimental link, perhaps why the hesitance to assume any particular connection?

Steve

No identification was possible Roel, and the soldiers were buried at Pont du Jour Military Cemetery in 2002, if I remember correctly.

Without bothering about the costs; why hasn't there been any DNA-research? Reading the article Paul Reed wrote on this story, there were ideas as to which soldiers were amongst the twenty men found in the mass-grave.

(Quote)

Research immediately showed that it was the 10th Lincolns (Grimsby Chums) who had served here, and press speculation concluded that this was a mass grave from that unit. This was further enforced by the statement in some papers that twenty-four men from the unit had died on 9th April, and that this twenty accounted for those missing.

(Unquote)

When some relatives of these twenty men would have been traced, it would have been possible to perform a DNA-test. With even just one match the above story -or any other- would have gotten new life.

Or have I seen too many Hollywood-movies?

regards

Roel

Hello Roel

The BBC program was called body hunt,try this link

http://www.whatalovelywar.co.uk/war/archives/2002_01.html

As for DNA results Professor Margaret Cox who is MOD Forensic Anthropologist: responsible for providing personal identifications for British soldiers from conflicts around the world. Stated I belive, that the DNA avilable would not give a precise indification, though I can not remember the reason why. The program has been showen on the History Channel and is sure to be repeated again.

Hope this is of some help

Peter

The problem with DNA tests is that they show probable parentage and not positive identification. One is not necessarily the same as the other.

Andy