Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

GWD Look up Pse

BULLDOGFOGG

Would be very much obliged if someone could expand any information on the following, NOK etc:

WORRALL, PETER

Initials: P

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Cheshire Regiment

Unit Text: 13th Bn.

Date of Death: 07/07/1916

Service No: 27871

Many thanks

Kevin

Kevin

Info from SDGW

Born - Aston,Ches

Enlisted - Chester

Killed in Action

Regards Doug.

Doug

Thats a confirmed relative then, thank you very much, thats 5 in total now, must be in the genes, im military, my dads military my grandfather was military, all my uncles were military and now i find that every single great uncle was military !!! What a mad world !!

Thanks

Kevin

Kevin

For info, his service number is consistent with an enlistment date between May & July 1915. Sorry I can't be more precise.

The following is my write-up on a local Stockport man killed that day. Hope it is of interest:-

"The Battle of the Somme had started on 1 July with little success, except in the south of the battlefield. Some small gains had been made in the centre and, on 5 July, the Cheshires occupied newly captured trenches at La Boiselle. These would be the Battalion’s jumping-off point for a further attack on the morning of the 7th. The trenches formed a salient into the German line and the Battalion would attack parallel to the main German front and in their full view. It was not a good omen.

The Regimental History describes the attack “It had been arranged that the attack should be protected by smoke and by an intense barrage. But there was no smoke and our men thought the barrage particularly feeble. It is probable that, as the wind dropped, the smoke rose at once. Our advance, being thus unscreened, drew heavy artillery fire. This fire, together with machine gun fire from front and flanks, stopped the attack about half way to Ovillers…….The 13th Battalion lost eight officers killed…eleven other officers were wounded. 243 NCOs and men were killed or wounded. “ "

John