Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Kitchener's Army

Nathan Greenfield

Forgot to ask on my previous post: Does anyone know the percentage of men in Kitchener's Army (1915) who had previous military experience?

I recall reading that Kitchener did not think much of the territorials, so is it true that most of the new men were completely new to the military?

Cheers,

Nathan

I don`t know the %, Nathan, but it`s usual to read of difficulties in K Bns in finding experienced men to instruct - both officers and ORs. And reservists would presumably go back to regular Bns. So it`s reasonable to assume the % was low. If I had to guess, I`d say about 5% to 10%. Phil B

Hello,

A figure I have come across is that at the end of the war 7 of 8 of Britsh forces were wartime recruits, whereas 2 of 3 was the german case. They started with a very large army.

Old Tom

Hello,

A figure I have come across is that at the end of the war 7 of 8 of Britsh forces were wartime recruits, whereas 2 of 3 was the german case. They started with a very large army.

Old Tom

The situation with both Germany and France is that because they operated mass conscription, when war becan they had massive numbers of reserves who, having been included in the pre-war figures, could not be included again as a wartime recruit.

It does not mean though that in August 1914 they were all fit, up to date with training and ready to go.

I would have thought the percentage would be quite low Nathan, also Kitcheners Battalions would perhhaps have older military men who were responsible for the setting up and training of the battalion, but ineligible to serve abroad( and quite possibly better off in charge of the next batches of recruits at home).

The older more senior officers would be military men, or recent ex military, and one or two of their appointees(eg adjutant), but it would be mostly men of little previous military experience. This would vary from Battn to Battn, but on the whole I would go along with the 5-10 %

estimate.

Thanks.

I have to pull apart my files. Perhaps then I will find the reference I (so) hazily remember.

Cheers,

Nathan

I remember reading somewhere (but can't lay my mind to where exactly), that one Bn had old soldiers who carried their rifles at the shoulder (not slope), and who, when 'at ease' crossed their hands in front, rather tna behind.

My step-mother (silly phrase for someone who married my dad after my mum died in their sebenties!) told me her dad's story. he was born in the 1860's, and was in the Oxfordshire LI, having been dischared to the reserve before the S African War in 1899. he was recalled and served through that, and re-joined in 1914 - nearly 60 (!) and helped train recruits in Grimsby. he didn't go overseas. Having not served since 1901, I cannot imagine what his Drill would have been like, or (frankly) how much cop he would have been.

Maybe not having too many old soldiers was not a bad thing?

Hello,

I guess that style of drill goes back to pre-Boer War days (perhaps when the standard infantry rifle was the Martini-Henri carbine)(I remember using them for drill in the school cadet corps in the 1940's)( they were lighter than the Enfields). Gee! that a clumsy sentence. However NCOs from that era could well have been employed as instructors in the battalions of Kitcheners Army, in particular those raised locally like the 'pals' battalions. Any sort of drill was better than none to make a start.

Old Tom